Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I am an ex site member who can't remember his old Handle! I had a 790 Bonnie for a couple of years, TOR pipes, shorty rear and drop bars. So not really a newb but I need some advice. I am plannig on coming back to Triumph and will be buying a Thruxton in the next couple of weeks. Question is..EFI or Carb. I must admit I wasn't keen on the new style bars on the EFI bikes they seemed to get be a bit too sensible but it makes me wonder just how uncomfortable the pre EFI bikes are. I am just under 6 feet and when I sit on the old Thrux it doesn't feel that extreme at all but I would be interested to hear from anyone my size who has done more than a blat round the block. Also, regarding the engines is there much difference...again, interested in pro's and con's :) Finally, handling...the new bikes have different geometry...does it make any diffference? My heart is set on the old bike but before I take the plunge I would just like to hear some real feedback to help decision making process!

Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to getting into the site again, it was by far the best bike forum I have been involved in.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I can comment on the 2009. I am a hair under 6' and have a 32" inseam. The seat to peg relationship is pretty much perfect if you ask me. I LOVE the bars. I agree that the clip ons look cooler, but the bars are comfy as you start to pile on some miles. I did a 225 mile day a few weeks ago and I had no wrist or back pain at all. I could have easily done more except that the Mrs beckoned me home. Remember, the bars aren't just higher up, they are also closer - so there is less of a reach and you can stay straighter up if you want.

Other changes in '09:
- obviously the EFI. I have the Arrows and the supplied tune. These things run perfectly - not a hint of backfire and they sound very nice. One caveat -the tune is meant for the Arrows with the baffles installed. If you pull the baffles, you will run a bit lean. This of course can be cured with a power commander and an auto-tuner (or dyno time), but that is pricey. The aftermarket for pipes seems much better for the carb'd models.

- the wheels have been changed. The new models have stronger straight spokes, whereas the older models have the curved spokes. Apparently there were some broken/bent spoke issues in the UK that were the catalyst for this change.

- bar end mirrors are standard. Frankly, I don't love the new bar end mirrors and will likely change them to CRGs at some point. They are very functional, but I think they are a bit too big looking.

I think that covers the changes. I always loved the Thruxton, but wasn't keen on the extreme riding position. When they changed to bars, I knew I had to buy one.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hey there. I am an ex site member who can't remember his old Handle! I had a 790 Bonnie for a couple of years, TOR pipes, shorty rear and drop bars. So not really a newb but I need some advice. I am plannig on coming back to Triumph and will be buying a Thruxton in the next couple of weeks. Question is..EFI or Carb. I must admit I wasn't keen on the new style bars on the EFI bikes they seemed to get be a bit too sensible but it makes me wonder just how uncomfortable the pre EFI bikes are. I am just under 6 feet and when I sit on the old Thrux it doesn't feel that extreme at all but I would be interested to hear from anyone my size who has done more than a blat round the block. Also, regarding the engines is there much difference...again, interested in pro's and con's :) Finally, handling...the new bikes have different geometry...does it make any diffference? My heart is set on the old bike but before I take the plunge I would just like to hear some real feedback to help decision making process!

Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to getting into the site again, it was by far the best bike forum I have been involved in.
If it was me... and this and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks...

I'm partial to the pre '08 Bonnies (et al) as they have the, to my eye, sleeker and more elegant pre EFI tanks... also, I can tune carbs easily and quickly... rather than having to load programs into an ECU... And, if you shop smart, you can usually find a well cared for used one at a good price... allowing you more coin for the upgrades you know you'll want to do... As a previous owner, you also know that the Triumph twins are nearly bulletproof and some miles on them is nothing to worry about...

I'm 5'11" and short of inseam... my Bonnie, although not as tall as the Thruxton, is no problem...

BTW, if the clip ons are too low for you, you can always get the top yoke conversion and put standard bars on it....

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I'm partial to the pre '08 Bonnies (et al) as they have the, to my eye, sleeker and more elegant pre EFI tanks... also, I can tune carbs easily and quickly... rather than having to load programs into an ECU... And, if you shop smart, you can usually find a well cared for used one at a good price... allowing you more coin for the upgrades you know you'll want to do... As a previous owner, you also know that the Triumph twins are nearly bulletproof and some miles on them is nothing to worry about...

<snip>...if the clip ons are too low for you, you can always get the top yoke conversion and put standard bars on it....
+1 to what Tom said.

I have an '04 Thruxton and wouldn't consider a newer version unless there is the correct ECU revision to allow a cam swap. After going to '01 790 cams in my '04, there is no way in hell I would settle for less. After the EFI bikes have a few years on them and all the ECU maps are readily available, then my opinion may change!

As far as the clip ons go, I had to have a bike that serves as an all arounder and couldn't bear the reach around town/under about 55 or 60 mph. I'm considerably shorter than you, though, and you might be fine...the only way to find out is to give it a go. My bike now has speed triple bars in an aftermarket top tree...

Cheers,

--Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts