Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just done 600 miles on the new EFI Thruxton and due for the first service.

Mostly fast A roads, occasional round town and some motorway driving. Overall, I reckon I have averaged 50 mph.

I reckon I am getting 13 miles per litre, or 58 mpg (UK gallons) - based on 4.5 litres per UK gallon (at 1.75 pints per litre rounded down).

That would amount to just over 200 miles per tank (based on 3.5 gallon tank).

Is that right or wrong?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well... my carburated '08 gets 120-130 miles per tank.

Are you sure you're getting 13 miles per litre?! That sounds pretty high.

But, I'm not sure how much more efficient the EFIs are...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been getting about 90 miles a tank on my EFI Thrux. Seems pretty low.

I'm at about 400 miles, so I've been keeping it under 5k rpm, but I do ride it into 4k pretty often. Lots of city riding light to light here in Los Angeles too.

I also have Dominator Sport pipes on her, so I wonder if the EFI tune for those is affecting mileage. Because I am at more like 25 mpg, not 40-45 like others are reporting!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Lady Triumphantes got a bit better than 50 MPG (US) when new, but I did some mods, and improved that figure to right around 40. Ya gotta burn gas to make power.
I get 120 or so miles to reserve, and it will take just on 3 gallons at that point. "Run dry" is about 160 (don't ask.) I ride about 80/20 local/highway.
Redhawk

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike has just done 600 miles. Hyde silencers and stock tune.

Filled it to the brim and did 82 miles.

Filled it to the brim and that took 6.17 litres.

That equates to 13.29 miles per litre.

Based on 4.57 litres per UK gallon (8 imperial pints at 1.75 pints per litre - not exact but nearly) - that equates to just over 60 miles per gallon.

Based on 3.5 gallon capacity (UK gallons) that equates to 210 miles per tank run dry.

Does sound inacurate I know - anyone point out where I am going wrong??!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
. "Run dry" is about 160 (don't ask.)

i will ask. :D

how much fuel did you fill it with afterward? im interested to know how much unusable fuel there is.

ive gotten to 132.something miles and have not hit reserve yet. i put in 3.110 US gal in after that (about 42.5 mpg). i have removed the airbox and ai and put on preds. that was after mostly highway riding at about 70 to 75 mph with some city driving at about 40 mph. I was neither aggressive or nonaggressive when riding this tank. this was at sea level at about 65 degrees average.

i figure that run dry should happen in the 160s.

the thing that really is preventing me from hitting reserve is the fact that the gas stations that are here are a long distance apart and i dont feel like pushing my bike 10+ miles. :eek: but i try to push it while im in town. i guess its a force of habit from my job but i hawk my odometer/fuel quantity almost as much as i do my speedometer. :rolleyes:

edit:solafspin, i calculate just over 50 mpg us. (41.6 uk) per your numbers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
120-130 till i get reserve
80/20 city/highway

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got a 2009 Thruxton two weeks ago. I am on my fourth tank of gas. I got 42.5, 47.8, 45.6 and 48.2 mpg so far. I have a 19 tooth front sproket, ride moderately (keep it under 80 on the interstate) and the low fuel light comes on at about 125 miles. (fill-up is always less than 3 gallons) Your mileage may vary. ;-)
Ride Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
709 Posts
Air Pirate,
As I recall, it took 4.3 US Gal.
A while back, I filled the tank, then drained into graduated containers ('07 Carby Thrux)
-To reserve; 3.17 US Gal
-Reserve; .75 US Gal
-Total usable; 3.92 US Gal
-Unusable; aprox .5 US Gal.
I subsequently added a second fuel cock on the right side of the tank to get at that 3+ unusable pints, without standing the bike on its head.

It was while testing this that I ran it dry, right in front of a gas station. Apparently, you can't count on all that unusable staying unusable, it can slosh over to the left side.
Redhawk

·
Registered
404 Posts
With my '04 thrux with K&N's and Pred's I get approx 125 miles per fill up which includes both interstate driving at 75-85 and some town ridind at around 40mph average. I can't imagine there is more than about 4 useful gallons (US) in that so-called 5 gallon tank though incl. reserve! They should design some type of cross-feed tube from the RHS into the petcock so that both sides feed it and maybe then there would be more useable and reserve fuel?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Thrux seems to be very choosy about how you ride it. 2 years ago, with my stock tank, TORs and jets I gave my girfriend a lift up from Cheshire after dropping off her NC30 for some work. At a steady 90+ on the motorway I hit reserve at 84 miles! Scary as the next petrol station was about 15 miles away. I think I made it on fumes. I also did a trip round Scotland with some mates on 600 & litre sports bikes. Petrol stations are few and far between in some of those areas and I was nailing the bike to keep up with the Jap multis. There were a few close calls again. I'll be doing the same trip next June but now I have my cafe tank that's just under 5 gallons, should be a lot more relaxed as far as fuel stops go. Also I now have Motowin pipes, no airbox, FCRs and K&Ns. Next week the bike's off to Bob Farnham for 904cc, big valves, hot cams, porting and a lightened flywheel. Hopefully I'll still get about 40mpg but maybe Robnobrakes can chip in here. He's had similar work done.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Johnny that is a fantastic looking Thrux - best I have seen. Is it a Tank shop tank? Or hyde? Cost a few bob I bet. Of course the new 09 tanks are bigger, so range is correspondingly longer. I have 700 miles on the 09 now and reckon I am probably getting 150 mpg or thereabouts. If you cane it, it gobbles fuel. If you ride in town it gobbles fuel. If you restrict it to traffic light free A roads and maintain a sensible pace it seems to go further for longer. I am going to get it tune though, and I want more popping and crack from the hyde exhaust. Those mototwins are the business - had them on my bonnie - no better pipes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The tank's from The Tank Shop to my design. I wanted, sort of a bigger version of a Lyta. Nicely made but I had to do quite a bit of extra polishing when I got it - lots of linishing marks still in it. And I had the usual nightmare wait. All in it was £450 with the dummy central oil tank so not too bad - a lot cheaper than NH.

I think I'll be fitting a chip pan headlight grille before I go to Scotland this year. Got a stone through my headlight on the last trip and it was £122 for a new lens and reflector:eek:. That was befroe I realised that a generic Cibie lens could be made to fit for about £20!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had heard that the Tank Shop has a long waiting list - perhaps the recession will shorten it:D I had also heard that the stuff is good but occasionally people have to fix niggles - a sign that he is too busy. If you are heading to Scotland via the West - Loch Lomond etc - then it would be good to see the bike if you are en route as we only live half a mile from the A82 on the north side of Glasgow - just in case you are taking that route - if not then more pictures would be great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Johnny6035,
You stated that you had the flywheel lightened. I am considering this mod. Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
153 Posts
Johnny6035,
You stated that you had the flywheel lightened. I am considering this mod. Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Steve, I haven't had that mod done yet - the bikes going down to Bob Farnhams tomorrow so it'll be a few weeks before I can give a report. Wish I had some Florida sunshine to test it properly!

Lightening the flywheel reduces the mass of the rotating parts in the engine, therefore it takes less momentum to spin them up so the engine revs quicker and transfers more power to the back wheel. On the down side, there's less engine braking on a closed throttle, useful for smooth riding without grabbing the brakes all the time. Hopefully the big bore kit with its raised compression will help counter this. On it's own I doubt that a lightened flywheel would make a significant difference but with all the other mods I'm having done it'll help and actually aids reliability because there is less strain on the rotating parts.

I'll give a full run down of the effects of the mods when the Thrux is back home (and I get a dry sunny day:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Steve, I haven't had that mod done yet - the bikes going down to Bob Farnhams tomorrow so it'll be a few weeks before I can give a report. Wish I had some Florida sunshine to test it properly!

I'll give a full run down of the effects of the mods when the Thrux is back home (and I get a dry sunny day:rolleyes:)
Johnny,
I just had the Triumph TORS installed today. I've had the bike for about 7 weeks & 1100 miles of "silent running" so far. Now it finally sounds like a proper bike!! It seems to have picked up a couple hp along the way with the new pipes and the new "map" from Triumph that was downloaded and installed by the dealer.
Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and cool. Think I'll take 1/2 day off and go for a short ride.
Hope your weather improves. Let us know how your mods turn out.
Ride Safe!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts