Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rear tire got a flat and I brought it into a local place near my apartment. A harley shop mainly, but seems to have a good reputation and the closest triumph shop is down in New York City.

Anywho, I went ahead and had them order new tires (front and back). They tightened my spokes, mounted and balanced the two new tires.

The ride itself seemed pretty solid (been about 500 miles so far), but I noticed a lot of speed wobbles when hitting minor bumps on the highway (around 70-80mph) that I haven't noticed before.

So, I've had some time to take a look at things this weekend. I'm fairly new to mechanical work, but I noticed two things.

1) The rear tire is a Metzler Marathon, same size as the original tire. I believe the originals are Lasertechs? The new front tire is a Lasertech. Is this rear tire a problem for my Thruxton?

2) It seems like there is some exposed adhesive on the front. Not sure if it was done by the shop when they balanced, or maybe something fell off after?

I'd like to try and figure out the best way to fix this speed wobble, as it scared the crap out of me! I'm just not sure on the best starting point. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I've got Metzelers front and back, no problems here. Metzelers are a little more sticky than a standard tire; a little more fun in the twisties.

Check your spokes, they can cause wobble. Make sure the axle nuts were tightened properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll double check the spokes. I was worried that maybe the Marathon rear tire would be a problem compared to the Lasertech.

I'll need to check my rear wheel alignment too. Detailed the bike this morning and did some chain maintenance. Took her for a 5mph trip around the block just to get a basic feel and I noticed a loud ticking noise coming from the rear as I'm moving. I tend to wear earplugs and haven't noticed it before, but it led me to this forum. I'll have to do some research on what I should do, but it's possible that the rear tire is not square with the swingarm.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is the new rear tyre a radial, the standard rear is a radial and should be more stable...well that's what the tyre guys told me.

Mine is stable with replacement tyres same as OEM

Terry

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Metzeler Marathon's are cruiser tires. As was said check the tire pressure. Rear pressure should be between 38-41 psi. front 33 psi. The tires also warm up VERY slowly, so don't get crazy on them for several miles.

According to Metezler the Marathon and is a good mate to the front Lazertec

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tires

The marathon does not have the same compound as the lasertech but should not cause any wobble at speed. Like the others said it’s a cruiser tire. The only other thing I can think of is one or both are slightly out of balance.

The marathon is not as sticky as the lasertech so keep that in mind when going into curves. It's still a good tire and should last longer than the lasertech.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Checked the tire pressure and the front was spot on (33). Back was around 36/37, so I pumped that up a bit. Took her for a ride (nothing above 50mph) and she seems fine. No wobbles or anything, even aimed for some bumps. Weather around here is a bit rough this weekend, so I'll try and check out a higher speed another day.

While I was at it, I cleaned the front sprocket today (trying to do minor cleanup each day as my season is coming to and end). Plan on replacing the chain next season, as she's going into storage soon anyway. The inside of the chain and rollers seem fine and the bike only has 7,000 miles. I bought it this April with 4,000.

Propped the bike back on my Pitbull stand this morning for cleaning and noticed that the ticking sound from the rear doesn't seem to be from the wheel or chain. Seems like it's coming from exhaust? Anyway, at least that comforted me about my past reading with wheel bearings and the like, as the clicking noise doesn't seem related to wheel movement.

·
Premium Member
5,132 Posts
Be careful of the Marathon in the rain, they are not great wet tyres. Mine is prone to spinning the wheel on take-off, and I have had a few rear wheel slides.

It's fine in the dry though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts