Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 10K miles I thought my 04 thruxton was in need of a valve clearance check. It seemed to be making a heck of a racket from under the valve cover suddenly.
Called up my Pop, got a manual, and we tore into it, busted out the feeler gauges only to discover that it checked out okay.
We put it back together, and I started it up. My Dad took a listen this time and said that he thinks it's the cam chain tensioner. Maybe it has too much slack and is slapping around in there.
It was late so we called it a night. I shot some video of it, so you can hear the sound for yourself.

It's a clickity clickity CLACKITY CLACK sound. What do you guys think? Sound is most apparent at :40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4ZNgh4sKE&feature=channel_page

Sorry if this is posted twice.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right to me. These bikes all make some weird noises, but that intermittent clacking while idling seems abnormal. Maybe a CCT failure? It is a fairly common occurence on the Honda SuperHawk 1000, and externally they appear to be virtually identical...Triumph may have patterned their Cam Chain Tensioner after the Honda thinking it was actually a good design!

Is it running OK otherwise? I wouldn't thrash it too hard until you check the cam chain tension. Was the chain floppy or loose when you had the cam cover off?

Most of the twins sound odd when you shut 'em off. Kind of a 'klackey-thump'...not the same sound on your video.

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Blight. Yeah, It seems to be running fine otherwise.

The sound started off really quiet when it first began, I thought it was just in my mind. But then after a couple of days of riding it became very noticeable and came on very suddenly, so I parked it.
But the video doesn't even really do it any justice. Its much louder in person. When I shut it off it shuts down fine. And there doesn't seem to be any vibration or anything.

I didn't notice any slop in the cam chain when the cover was off, but honestly I didn't really inspect that. And I wouldn't know what is normal tension for a cam chain feels like anyway.
I had assumed the noise was valve related. But my Dad told me valve lash noise is a much different sound. More of a ticking noise apposed to this irregular clunking and clacking noise. We did the old stethoscope screw driver trick and it seems to be coming from the left side of the cover.

I'm going to pull the tensioner and check it. Has anyone done this. Anything I should know about before doing it?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Dumb question - when was the last time you changed your oil?

I had a tapping noise that freaked me out - sounded like a stuck lifter or something. I was pretty much right at an oil change interval...did a filter change and a full fill of Mobil 1 and everything was happy again. This year, I'll probably switch to Pure One and Rotella, as I've heard good things from this board.

Tough to tell by the video if yours is a bit more "clackity" than mine was, but an easy thing to try.

Good luck...I feel your pain; my heart sank when my baby started making noises!

Jason

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I don't believe it's an exhaust leak. Sounds internal, but I'll double check. As far as oil change. It was probably about 200 miles into a fresh mobil 1/ filter change and new plugs when the noise began, and another 75 miles when the noise became so loud I had to park it.
It really sounds like its coming from the top of the motor.
Maybe I can get a better audio recording of it and post it up here.

I'm really baffled. I'm going to pull the cam chain tensioner and inspect it, but if there is nothing wrong with it, I'm not sure what to do other than take to my local Triumph shop. :(

Has anyone tried taking out the cam chain tensioner? Doesn't look too hard according to the Haynes book. Anything I should look out for?

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
its not that hard .but make sure you reset it before putting it back in.I dont know how it could make that sound unless the plastic guides are broken ,never seen one that was.Make sure you get the cams timed right when you put them back in to.You will need pins for the back lash gears on the cams to.It will take some time.I think i would pull the valve cover first unplug wires to the coil .Take spark plugs out and spin motor over with starter and see if you hear it then,before pulling everything apart.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I found this diagram of the cam drive and tensioner for the 2004 Thruxton. Looks pretty simple, a spring loaded tensioner pushes on the rear cam chain slipper. I've removed the tensioner on other bikes but not a Triumph twin.

Might be time to invest in a full shop manual for the Thruxxie just to be safe? It may be pretty simple to remove and inspect the CCT, but you sure don't want anything coming loose (if the tensioner is broken) and falling down into the crankcase! Sorry to worry you, but it may be a possibility.

Regardless, if it is a bad CCT it will need repair ASAP to prevent engine damage. Hope this helps a little...

Good luck and keep us posted!
BLIGHT

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much. I really do appreciate all the help. Unfortunately i'm not going to get a chance to tear into it for a couple of weeks. But I will keep you all posted. I'm crossing my fingers and any other appendages that its only the tensioner. Blight, thanks for the diagram. Thats very helpful!!!
If anyone has any other info I'm all ears.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Noise

W/ my crappy speakers on this thing it almost sounded like a sticking valve? Maybe got bent or something? Still got the rev limiter on? Just a guess w/ this wonderful sound system!!

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
LOL i have played that thing a few times now sometimes it sounds like a exhust leakor high pressure leak(head gasket) then it sounds like metal slapping .Hope he finds it so we will all know what it is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
(at least i hope so)

After farting with the bike for awhile I threw in the towel and took it down to my local Triumph dealership, where in a matter of minutes a technician named Robin was able to diagnose my issue. He popped off the valve cover and rolled the motor over with the starter....
It turns out the noise was coming from the cam chain gear. The gear's bearing was faulty, I believe he said it was literally cracked, allowing the ball-bearings to congregate on one side of the bearing itself. This caused the gear to hop around and rattle causing the chain to slop around too. And that was the noise I was hearing. Robin said this is the first time he's ever seen an issue like this on a bonnie or thrux.
So....I left it there to be repaired. The final tally won't be good I'm sure.
I am also getting some new meats installed as well. Sport Demons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts