Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took the headers off my 2015 thruxton and it is literally new. I noticed the left side header pipe (when sitting on it, the clutch and side stand side) has a dent in the piping? I could not see it till I removed it!

Don't know if this is per design from factory or I need to go after my dealer?

Thanks much

PS - I searched and did not find the answer, perhaps I am the only dummy confessing to this concern :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More I look into it - it looks like this is from factory. I went on eBay and found another guy selling his OEM headers and guess what - same dent in the header!!!!

I stole this picture from eBay auction. Mine are identical...

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought some Thruxton headers for my Bonneville so I could fit my Predator shortys and I have that dent too and was shocked when they arrived from good old fleabay

Did a bit of research in panic and yes it was a factory mod !

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't it effect flow? I wonder if it was for the center stand or something? Trying to understand why they did this...Sad!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Yes it will restrict flow and heat removal.
And I bet that is why there have been some complaints that the left hand side header discolours more than the right.

I wonder if there ARE any engineers working at Triumph?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bah, that's a bit unfair, don't you think? The indent likely has no effect on overall gas flow when fitted with stock cans as originally designed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I asked the question to Mike at TTP and he has done quite a few dyno runs in his time and he said no detectable difference

I would rather not have it there though and I guess any pulling out of the dent will ruin the pipe ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I asked the question to Mike at TTP and he has done quite a few dyno runs in his time and he said no detectable difference

I would rather not have it there though and I guess any pulling out of the dent will ruin the pipe ?
I don't know how you would pull that sort of dent out..Ideally, you would cut and replace that section out. I always wondered if the TEC, Arrow etc actually increased the piping diameter of the header pipes, per se and gave it more powahhhh! (That's a jeremy clarkson reference)

Oh well, I will just live with it, not worth the hassle to deal with replacing a section of pipe etc. Atleast I know, its not my dealer who did it, I would go after them if it was their doing!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Bah, that's a bit unfair, don't you think? The indent likely has no effect on overall gas flow when fitted with stock cans as originally designed.
I stand by my post.

The dent in the exhaust pipe will create a resistance in the LHS pipe and will reduce heat flow.

Do a simple calc of exhaust velocity through the header and then factor in the increase in velocity due to the fuel combustion and you will agree.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts