Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put 09 Thruxton handlebars and bar end mirrors on my 09 Bonnie. Can anyone tell me if my current handgrip on the Bonnie will work with this configuration?

Any other potential red flags I should be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Not sure if there is a control or handgrip compatibility issue...don't think there should be if the new Thrux has a 1 inch bar...but biggest cavaet is the drapes have to match the curtains. :) What I mean by that is....if you drop and increase reach to the handlebars with new Thrux bars, you better put rearsets on your bike to release your hips to rotate more forward on the bike like the Thrux riding position. Otherwise, that set up will be hard on your back.
Good Luck...fellow '09 Bonnie owner hear who likes the std. riding position. Big fan of the Thruxton...just a bit too aggressive for my old body.
George

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I'm looking to put 09 Thruxton handlebars and bar end mirrors on my 09 Bonnie. Can anyone tell me if my current handgrip on the Bonnie will work with this configuration?

Any other potential red flags I should be aware of would be greatly appreciated.
My understanding is that the '09 thruxton bars are 1" in diameter, so it'll work as long as you don't have a SE/black. Those are 7/8" now (?)...or so I recall. All the cables would be more than long enough.

The forward lean will be fine unless you're long in the leg...I've ridden naked, airhead bmws for nearly 20 years that have very similar footpeg position/seat height to the std. bonnie & the flat european bars are the sh*t.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason behind the question

I noticed that the grips on the 09 Thruxton were significantly shorter than those of my T100. I wondered if this was going to pose a problem. I wonder if I have less straight length handlebar to work with on these Thruxton bars.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I noticed that the grips on the 09 Thruxton were significantly shorter than those of my T100. I wondered if this was going to pose a problem. I wonder if I have less straight length handlebar to work with on these Thruxton bars.
Nothing that thruxton grips and a hacksaw to the throttle tube won't solve....

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I think the Thruxton uses 7/8" bars. Bonnies use 1" bars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone have a definitive answer for these diameter numbers?

09 SE:
09 Bonneville:
09 T100:
09 Thruxton:
08 Thruxton:

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's an straight swap for your T100.
The grips are the same, no difference at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
09 SE: 7/8's
09 Bonneville: 7/8's
09 T100: 1"
09 Thruxton: 1"
08 Thruxton: 7/8's
You rock 1000th! Thank you.

I think my hands are smaller then the avg Thruxton rider because I want to put thinner-rubber grips on my Thrux along with a clutch that is closer to the grip and hopefully smoother as well. I love my Thruxton but have to say that the clutch is crap. I've sat on a few bikes lately (most recently the Ducati S24) and pulled the clutch and the Thruxton is not on the top of that list in terms of smoothness and constant resistance throughout the pull.

Has anyone put the Gran Tourismo Grips on their Thruxton or made any modifications to their clutch besides the adjustable distance setting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im converting my 05 thruxton to a triple clamp, as the clip ons were killing me. I found a set of 1" top clamps, but the grips and other equipment are a 7/8" OD. Any ideas where I could find bars that taper from 1' in the center to 7/8" or am I just dreaming?

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
fastfish -

Just recently put 09 stock Thruxton "mini-M" bars on my 2003 T100 - I flipped them to the higher position though, felt more comfortable to me coming off
the stock T100 bars. Also added NH rearsets... been doing
track days this year. Changed to a thrux clutch cable to accomodate a standard lay-flat bracket, turns out didn't need to do that. As far as riding, did almost 400 miles of backroads last Saturday... riding position still taking some getting used to, very stiff and sore neck for about three days afterward, but wrists, back & hindmost were fine, maybe even
better than with stock bars & stock controls. Lower, for sure. Gonna stick with this setup for awhile and see if my anatomy adjusts...:D

Coupla pics...

Cheers,

D9

1 - 12 of 12 Posts