Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I've posted, been busy with work and whatnot so I'll be quick. My Thruxton R had a fall on the left side and ever since it's felt off. I replaced what was damaged, mainly a turn signal and the gear shifter along with a mirror. Aside from that nothing else other than the fact that it just doesn't feel exactly right. My Dad has taken it out since the fall and I have as well. To me being the one that has spent hours riding it I can feel something off about the bars. My Dad considers me to be crazy because to him it feels fine.

As far as how the fall happened, I was on the side of the main road grabbing rain gear and the bike rolled down the slight incline and fell over. The fall happened quite a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Have you tried pushing it over on the other side yet? (Sorry... too soon?)

Since your gear shift lever was damaged, did you closely inspect the left footpeg and mount? I had one develop a tiny crack after a static fall and it changed position very slightly. This could cause that "not quite right" feeling but, more importantly, can become a serious safety issue. Fortunately, I discovered mine before the peg broke off, but it was too close for comfort.

That said, Ianadell's theory is probably more likely.

Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I suppose that it's possible the front end is slightly twisted. Nothing would be bent, but the fork tubes could be slightly out of parallel because the bottom triple clamp would have slightly rotated relative to the top clamp.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My Thruxton S did the same thing in my front yard, I been parking all my bikes there for over 45 years while opening the gates and the Thruxton was the first one that has rolled off the side stand on a very slight slop, when it fell over it landed on my trailer tow bar hitch and the hitch went through the left plastic side cover and a scratch on the edge of the fairing was the only damage, after close inspection of the side stand it doesn't lock in when the stand is down as all my other bikes do, well $450 for a new side cover and 6 weeks wait a very costly part for a simple fault in the design and I did let Triumph Australia know about it as well my dealership, I still park it there to open the gates but leave it in gear and only start the bike up when I am on it.
When I got the price for a new side cover I nearly fell over, bloody $450 *** and 6 week wait I went home found the broken piece and glued it back in looked terrible but better than no side case at all while the new one came in, I had to replace it as the bike was only a month old at the time.

Ashley

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been awhile since I've posted, been busy with work and whatnot so I'll be quick. My Thruxton R had a fall on the left side and ever since it's felt off. I replaced what was damaged, mainly a turn signal and the gear shifter along with a mirror. Aside from that nothing else other than the fact that it just doesn't feel exactly right. My Dad has taken it out since the fall and I have as well. To me being the one that has spent hours riding it I can feel something off about the bars. My Dad considers me to be crazy because to him it feels fine.

As far as how the fall happened, I was on the side of the main road grabbing rain gear and the bike rolled down the slight incline and fell over. The fall happened quite a few months ago.
Dude, always leave the bike in gear when on the stand.

As for the bars, no idea, but how's the shifting? Sometimes when the shifter is banged an internal part at the end of the rod and bend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the shifter as a whole so the shifting is the same as it's always been. I probably will take my Thruxton to the dealer I got it from to see what they can do. Maybe I could put it on the lift and loosen everything but the top clamp and tighten things back up but I'm not sure if I want to do that myself or if I should let the dealer do it and see what they suspect is messed up. Who knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts