Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Thruxton S
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago when I was repositioning the instruments to correct the wiring harness problem I noticed that there was rust on the front brake hose ends at the splitter that is mounted on the front of the steering head.

At the time I did a quick fix with some rust kill and paint but always meant to get back to it and try to get a better fix. Its a difficult spot to access and I did not want to split the brake lines so had to wrestle with it in situ. I slid the rubber sleeves off the banjos to check the extent of the rust but all was fine. I managed to get a strip of emery cloth around the pipes and somehow get enough movement to clean up the metal. Gave it a good dose of rust kill and then painted with POR15 calliper paint because it was all I had! When the paint had dried I smeared silicone grease on the swaged portion of the banjos before sliding the sleeves back into position.

Seems another case of Triumph saving a fraction of a cent on cheap rubbish parts. The front hoses have plated banjos at the wheel end, but at the splitter they are just painted, and not very well. The splitter is also just painted and integral with the rigid brake line that runs along the frame spine so not easy to fix and given Triumphs parts pricing policy not cheap to fix either.

For a 2017 machine never gets wet and lives in an internal garage I think this is pretty poor.

Looks like the only permanent fix is to have new brake pipe/splitter and hoses made which is not what I expect on a pampered low mileage 'premium' product.

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,913 Posts
Does the line from the splitter go to the MC or to the ABS unit?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you clean them up in place or did you take out that mount bolt to give yourself more room?

·
Registered
2017 Thruxton S
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you clean them up in place or did you take out that mount bolt to give yourself more room?
I did try removing the bolt but it gave no advantage and left the splitter floating which did not help when trying to work on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thought that might be the case. Looks like I will be doing the same. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts