Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of my friends want to do some touring throughout CA and they're gonna rent Harleys. I really dont want to do that considering I love my thrux so much and its just not my style. So i was thinking I could get some handlebars like the bonnies and some saddle bags. I have dart fly screen on there that will help. Any other ideas? Am I nuts for even considering touring on my thrux?

·
Registered
87 Posts
guess it would depend on the amount of miles you are going to do - those big ol rolling arm chairs are sure comfy :cool:

·
Registered
918 Posts
The most I've ridden in one sitting on my Thruxton thus far is 2.5 hours. I've done that leg a few times and depending on how I'm feeling physically before getting on, I may feel a bit achy or twitchy a little less than 2 hours into the ride.
I'm always too happy riding to give a crap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gittles, don't own a Thruxton, ,,yet. :) But have sport toured quite a bit. The key thing that will help the forum is what's the longest distance you've gone already? Have you done 250 mile days? How did you feel? Bum, arms hurt? If so, then you would need to try and do some improvement on either the bike or yourself = conditioning. If you're heading out for a few days, it's even possible to just use your tankbag or in addition a seatbag for your "stuff". For me, I wouldn't hesitate to tour on the Thruxton. :) Key though is to make sure you "fit" your bike and also have good rider gear that can protect and keep you warm and dry. Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Git
You will do just fine on Thruxton. It seem like most of the HD riders around here ride 30 min and sit on the side of the road and enjoy the sights or sit at a cafe. They are the new modern cafe rider. If you ride for about 45 min to a hr before stops, no problem. You will have more fun on the Thruxton at parade speeds.

odie

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm a bit interested in this topic as I'd like to drive out to Big Bend, which is somewhere around 10 hours of driving (yes, all in Texas). The longest I've driven is 100 miles in one day and I was beat. But that was before I've loosened up considerably on the arms/wrists.

Think I'll ease into it....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm also thinking about a trip to the Florida Keys by back roads from Tampa, so I'll be watching this thread carefully. It seems that a lot of us would love to do longer trips but seem reticent because of the ergonomics of the Thrux.
My daily limit seems to be 150 miles, at the most. The longer I ride the lazier I get and my posture gets worse and worse...helmet seems to get heavy and neck begins to hurt. My back is not really an issue but I do get a bad case of saddle soreness..:eek:

I'm considering trying a gel seat to see if I can stretch out my daily limit to 200 miles. The total trip is 390 miles and 7 hours by car...gotta start looking for cool things to see on the way and a nice place to stay overnight.
Again, I'll be real interested in seeing what you guys with experience have to say about this topic.

Peace:cool:

·
Registered
673 Posts
I did 3500 miles over 6 days from florida to kansas and back on my bonnie with M bars and small saddle bags only holding rain gear and 2 changes of clothes. The longest I had ridden in a stretch previously was Sarasota to tampa (75 miles). My trip was the most memorable experience of my life and though a Harley may have been easier at times, I was blasting past them in the mountains and would not have traded for anything. Pain is temporary, the memory will last forever.

Yes, you will need to stop and stretch every hundred miles, and yes, if you go for 2 days, that need to stretch will decrease to 50 miles, but it is possible. You will never know unless you try, so go for it. The worst case scenario is you get tired and rest more, but you should have no problem with 250-500 miles a day if you enjoy it.

The anti-monkey butt / baby powder is a good idea before starting to avoid any rash or discomfort. Also, wear ear plugs. Get the $10 ones that mold into your ear, not the cheap neon concert ones you stuff in your ear. You will know why after the first day if you don't.

Do yourself a favor and take the back roads if you can. It may take a bit longer, but you will experience more and enjoy the ride more. The wind on the interstate is tiring, but the Harleys hardly notice it because they weigh so much.

Have fun. Once you take one long ride, 200 miles to get lunch is nothing ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Earlier this year, I took a trip from Houston to Denton (north of Dallas) and back; 300 miles each way;two separate days. I had the stock clip-ons, and a tank bag only. I just stopped once an hour to stretch my legs; about the time it takes to have a smoke. The fuel range is somewhat limited, so every other stop was for gas. Although the Thruxton wasn't designed as a touring machine, It will cruise at 80-85mph all day with no problems. The main thing is to get used to the seating position with shorter trips.---James.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with all those above... 150-200 miles in a day is no big deal on the Thruxton once you've gotten used to the seating position. The girl and I have ridden to Harrisburg, PA and back a few times, which is 120 each way. As long as you rest every 50 or so miles... nothing crazy, even just pulling over and stretching a bit to get the kinks out.

While you may feel like you can go further than that, it is a good idea to stop and stretch it out so that your knees don't lock up. Nothing is worse then pulling up to a light and finding out you can't put your feet down. :eek:

the Girl's uncle is trying to get us to join him for an Iron Butt marathon in may. 1035 miles in 24 hours... basically circling VA... Not sure I'll be able to do THAT on the Thruxton, but 200 - 250 miles in a day is not too bad.

Anyone interested in that, here is a flyer. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/Hobbes80/Screenshot-09RIDEFLYER.png

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did a trip from PA to Maine on an 08 stock thruxton. My only complaint was the stock bars hurt at 200+miles or so. When I got back I got the LSL raised bar. It is great for touring style rides!! Had to sacrifice tuck though so ride one that way before you make the change. good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the 2009 Thrux. It comes with bars instead of clip-ons. The riding position for me is great, sporty but not extreme. The only problem is the stock seat. Guess I'll have to find an alternative.
Have fun riding!

·
Registered
616 Posts
So some of my friends want to do some touring throughout CA and they're gonna rent Harleys. I really dont want to do that considering I love my thrux so much and its just not my style. So i was thinking I could get some handlebars like the bonnies and some saddle bags. I have dart fly screen on there that will help. Any other ideas? Am I nuts for even considering touring on my thrux?
I've done 8 hours on my Thruxton with stock clip-ons. To be fair though, it wasn't during my period. If it's that time of the month, maybe a Harley would be a good idea.

;-)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
You know the stereotype of HD riders who only ride a couple of miles, y'all are starting to sound like that. Just get out and ride, the more you do it the easier it is. My TBS is set up similarly to the Thrux (clipons, no windshield, etc.) and I have no issues doing 5-600 mile days. Don't be sissies, toughen up and think of it this way, its an excuse to spend all day riding.

Was someone really complaining about riding more than 200 miles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've done 8 hours on my Thruxton with stock clip-ons. To be fair though, it wasn't during my period. If it's that time of the month, maybe a Harley would be a good idea.

;-)
Was someone really complaining about riding more than 200 miles?
Watch the attitude boys. 6-8 days of 200-300 miles is a good amount in my opinion. Im just looking for some sound advice from those more experienced than me at touring.

Gotta love how high and mighty we all get behind the keyboard ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
thruxton tour

I don't have a Thruxton but do have ace bars on my Bonneville. I went from Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC stopping every 100mi. for gas. I have a bad back so the cafe position i find actually takes the pressure off my back and puts it on my arms and wrists. Depending on the year of your thrux, you probably already have a gel seat. The only other thing I'd suggest is padded gloves.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ive thought about doing some touring on my thrux too. I already have the heli-bars and they help w/ the comfort and seating postion. (im long legged and long armed)

Look for those or the LSL conversion kit and some soft luggage and ready to bon voyage.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts