Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having double walled header pipes custom made. Do I need to incorporate a balance pipe? I ask because the Raask headers (Sweden) don't use them and their exhaust systems seem to make really good power. Check out Ratcat's posts on this. So why did Triumph go the balance pipe route? Please elucidate me you technical gurus! Many thanks (PS thank G-d for this forum....)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
PRO: I really doubt the small amount of exhaust that might pass between that pipe that far down the headers would make much difference in performance (but who knows? Is there even a hole drilled through the header where the joining pipes are welded on?).

The pipe that runs between the two headers will help stiffen up the two headers and help prevent damage. The headers only attach to the bike at two points - the engine head and the lower frame. The lower frame mounts are rubber mounted, which gives some minor movement, so with only those two attachment points, the headers probably benefit from having that bar in between to tie them together and stiffen the whole assembly and reduce stress near the attachment to the head. Might help prevent cracks from vibration. Or if the bike falls over and some weight is placed on one header, it could distribute some of the load to the other header. I don't know if I would be able to hang my Supertrapps off the ends of the headers without that pipe joining them together (but I would probably try it anyways). Maybe the thick-wall headers are tough enough to do away with the joining pipe. Other similar bikes don't have them, so they might not be that important.

·
Registered
258 Posts
With the restrictive noise laws for new bikes, the crossover is neccessary to provide enough flow. With less restrictive aftermarket mufflers, they are not necessary.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm pretty sure balance pipes increase low end torque. sort of like a 2 into 1 system. but not as much. i think they run smoother also .......

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. While the strength issue makes sense I'm inclined to think that tcb has hit the nail on the head. My sense is that exhaust pulse tuning really only applies to multi (3 or more) cylinder motors, (the so called "black-art of effective reverse pulse tuning does have an effect on both torque and power) so I could not understand why Triumph fitted them to the Thruxton especially given the Thruxton's firing pattern. To create more flow and free up some power while maintaining the required emission/noise limits makes sense. Essentially the exhaust gasses will now have two rather than one route after rounding the second exhaust bend. (have I understood you tcb?) I'm binning the balance tubes on my new headers. The Raask exhaust system makes sense too. Their overall exhaust system is shorter and freer than most. Thanks all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had to install the Shark high system on my Thruxton for racing clearance, and have been told that there's three more horsepower there than even the D and D's I had before. No crossover on the sharks.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Yah but where is the three hp located, lack of balance pipe could put it on the top (it is a racing exhaust after all) while a balance pipe could put it lower. One thing is for sure, the crossover on my TBS is open and not just a strength brace.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not sure if the balance pipe is there mainly for noise reduction or tuning but I am sure it will result in a quieter exhaust. I had a set of headers made up for my old Bonnie which relaced the original headers which had a balance tube (that was much closer to the exhaust ports than Hinckley Bonnies). With no other changes the increase in exhaust noise was significant.

I have doubts about the strength argument. There are dozens of other brand twins running around with no balance pipe.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I had a pair of specialty spares kinkless headers on my bike for a spell, along with reverse cone mega's.

I too disliked the balnce tube, as well as the kink in the stock head pipes. When I had a BB kit installed on the bike the first thing the tuner told me was to get rid of the pipes with no balance tube, told me it was not the way to go.

I ended up aquiring a set of pred's, and re-installed the stock exhaust. It's not as easy of a installation with the balance pipe in place for certain, but I do believe it aid's in low end torque...even that far down the pipe.

I would assume it also aid's in noise reduction as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts