Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 Triumph Thruxton that has about 5,000 miles on it. I had just recently taken in my Thruxton for its annual service and had noticed this noise before the inspection, however, they did not find anything wrong with it.

Anyway, its a grinding/scrapping/rattling noise that sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the oil cooler almost. The weird part is, the noise is only made at 3100 rpms. If I go past or below 3100 rpms, it doesnt make the noise. It is throughout every gear level and even in nuetral, and it does not matter if I am throttling or decelerating, it makes the noise regardless.

I was curious if anyone had a similar issue or may know what I can do? Not really strapped with cash right now or else I'd take it back in and get it checked out, plus the shop I use charges insane rates. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Start with the header bolts and work your way down the exhaust. Mine came loose. Put a new crush washer in and torqued to spec. No more rasp. Good luck.
And... Buy a 'stethoscope' from an auto parts store or Harbor Freight or you can make do with a length of hose -

You'll need a helper to hold the throttle at 3500 or wherever the noise happens (in my experience wives and mothers-in-law are not great at this) while you hold one end of the hose (or stethoscope) to your ear and poke about the engine with the free end - You will probably be able to find the location of the noise (rocker boxes, valve train parts, loose fitting etc.

Additionally, I'd go back to your 'dealer' and sit near his front door and rev the motor until it makes the sound and ask the incoming customers "do you hear that?" Good use for your mother-in-law here is to record this on her smartphone and then post it on youtube for our enjoyment.

Let us know if you find anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts