Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've spent the last few weeks with the Thruxton off the road removing the O2 sensors and fitting some new DNA pod filters and TPP tune 11.

I finally got the bike finished and running today and couldn't wait to take it for a spin. The first thing i noticed was the snatchiness of the throttle has gone away and it's a much smoother ride. The other thing i couldn't help notice is the loudness of the induction with the POD filters. When i give it full throttle it makes a really loud and hollow moo'ing type noise which is louder that the Staintunes exhaust itself! :eek:

I was expecting to get a nice and loud raw engine noise with the new setup but the induction noise is really loud and really strange sounding.. I don't like it... Is this the same for the rest of you with aftermarket exhausts and POD filters??

Is this something that could happen if the reset adaptation didn't work correctly?

My bike's engine mod's are:
Staintune long mufflers
SAI removed
O2 removed
DNA pod filters
TPP tune 11 (20235)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Years ago, I had a '77 Trans Am that I opened up the shaker scoop on. What you describe pretty much matches what it sounded like when the secondaries opened. I'd say it's a feature, not a bug. :)

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Normal induction noise from what are virtually open intakes. That's what the airbox was there for, acting as a silencer.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
That it a great feature not a negative IMO. I really like that sound :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't a bit of that noise, but too me it sounds a bit too much ATM. Can anyone else with pods confirm how loud it is? As I said, it drowns out the exhaust note from where I'm sitting. Is there anything else apart from the iat and crank case breather hose that changes with the pods? I'll upload a video of it if I get time this week. Cheers, Mats

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the same mods. Yep it is loud but not likely to be any other mechanical issue. I am like the other posters here, I like it. Mine only gets 'real' loud at wide open throttle with a fair few revs on. For me it reminds me to be a bit gentle when riding around others. But when in the open its great. Like Forchetto says it basically is a throttle body without much, if any, restriction. If it really pi....es you off then you may have to go back to the airbox in and maybe with the breathe cover. Very similar power but will still generate a bit of intake noise.

So for me the solution is to try to be a bit careful around built up areas. It is a real hoot in the hilly twisties with the exhaust and induction noise reflecting off embankments and things.

Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I need to remove the slip ons! Is there a tune for the straight pipes option??

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
As I said, it drowns out the exhaust note from where I'm sitting.
The key here is "from where I'm sitting."

My experience is similar, and I have very loud exhaust. But our exhaust is aiming away from our ears, so don't let the motor noise fool you.

When I dyno'd my bike a few months ago, I was totally shocked at how deafening my exhaust is at WOT. My ears literally were being pained. But on the seat I hear a lot of engine noise, especially the intake noise you're speaking of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts