Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we got 3 rounds of the new Transatlantic Challenge in the books last week between Roebling Road and Daytona. There are definitely still some questions to be answered.

At Round one at Roebling the 94' 883 Sportster that came was for sure bringing a gun to a knife fight. If memory serves he was about 2.5 seconds a lap faster than the fastest Thruxton. I was rusty after not having been on track for almost 4 months and he was almost 4 sec a lap faster than me. In the race, I led for the first 3 or four of 8 laps as he leisurely sat behind me and sized me up. I finally got passed by another thruxton ridden by Rob Mclendon and then the Harley blew past both of us like we threw out an anchor. The harley was obviously not playing by the rules.

At Daytona the first day, morning practice saw the Harley was again waaay too fast for the Thruxtons so a few guys went over to check out his bike. Upon quick inspection he had oversize rims and tires, non-stock forks and flat side carbs. All of which are illegal and an obvious advantage.

In the day 1 Daytona race I started on the pole and got what I thought was a great launch into the lead but the harley blasted by about 6 Thruxtons from the second row and took a huge lead till he had what I later heard was a bent valve which took him out of the race. The top four of us including Mclendon, Willink, Foretich and myself had a great four way battle with lots of position changes in both the infield and on the banking. We were elbow to elbow and nose to tail several times on the banks at redline in top gear WFO. The battle to the checker was great and in the end I drafted by for a .176sec win over second place Foretich and third place Mclendon was less than a second behind Foretich. It was an amazing race.

After the race someone protested the harley anyway and he was forced to swap a lot of parts over night.

In the Day 2 Daytona race I got the hole shot again and built up a pretty good gap of maybe 6-8 bike lengths over 4th place until I couldnt find 5th gear getting up onto the banking and got passed by the 3 guys behind me. Boy was I pissed! The Harley disappeared into the distance but got second behind a Thruxton very well ridden by Thad Wolfe. He borrowed the bike from a buddy of his and that was the first time he ever raced a Thruxton. After the race the Harley was protested again. This time for his flat slide carbs and was penalized a lap which put him in the back. He was still faster but not as fast as the first 2 rounds. Unless of course he was sandbagging it. I wound up placing a distant third. Not as much fun as the first day but I'll take it.

So we still don't know how a Harley playing within the rules would fare but at least for now all is well and fair in the Thruxton Cup... ahem... Transatlantic Challenge. Those who came out to watch the first day said it was some of the best racing of the event. Hope to see some more of you guys out there on the grid as the season rolls on!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
harley screaming eagle factory carbs are 42 mikuni flat slide.I dont know how the rules look at that.I dont know why they let them run the 1200.Bone stock 1200 will walk a bone stock triumph 865 in the 1/4 mile so if they get them to turn how will yall beat them?
Wait till you see a factory race team 1200.I hope they dont get in it or it will be game over.Triumph dont back there racers like HD does.I think to make it even they should let yall build 1200cc triumphs heck even 1000cc would make it even.

·
Registered
616 Posts
harley screaming eagle factory carbs are 42 mikuni flat slide.I dont know how the rules look at that.I dont know why they let them run the 1200.Bone stock 1200 will walk a bone stock triumph 865 in the 1/4 mile so if they get them to turn how will yall beat them?
Wait till you see a factory race team 1200.I hope they dont get in it or it will be game over.Triumph dont back there racers like HD does.I think to make it even they should let yall build 1200cc triumphs heck even 1000cc would make it even.
If by "Triumph doesn't back their racers like HD" you mean that Harley will only ever enter into rigged competitions where they are allowed to buy the results they want, then we agree.

No one please take this too, too seriously. I'm just being snarky. Justifiably, apparently, but snarky nevertheless.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
lol that has something to do with it to.If you go to the flat track races you will see how hd backs there team.The poor guys runing triumphs have to back them selfs.Its real hard to beat factory backed teams when you dont have your factory backing you.All factory made legal parts are not the same by the way.If you know what i mean .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts