Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, if like me you you tend to cover a lot of miles - I'm about to purchase an Autocom system for my 08 Thrux - To speak to fellow Rider companions (NOT PILLION)!. Has anyone on the forum done anything similar and if so where do you fit the hub. I would like to hardwire it poss inside - Otherwise it will have to go in pocket. OK in winter, not so good in summer jackets.

Went to the NEC Bike show and the Triumph crew looked at me in a strange way when I said I like to tour on beast. "That's right" it's not a 'Rocket III'!. I was hoping one or two would have done this - I was out on my own, sadly.

Any guidance would be much appreciated - If I can sort this I will gladly pass on any info gained.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Welcome to RAT.net!

This is the model I've been eyeing up...got pretty good reviews and is reasonably priced. Not sure if it's sold in the UK or not, but it appears on the eBay USA site pretty regularly for around $115 shipped.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/interphone-bluetooth-intercom.htm

I've been considering it for rider-to-pillion communication on my Thruxton...probably a bit overkill, but should work well.

Hope this helps...

Jason

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RR

It has had amazing reviews (UK RIDE Magazine) Autocom company are helpful as well. My major glitch is where to fit it - As mentioned, I would like just to plug in and ride - I don't use a tank bag, but will have to if only option left.

I think you will be really happy with it.

They say "Talk Is Cheap", not in this case!, but could be priceless.

Thanks for coming back so soon.

Eddie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - Thruxton Bike to Bike

Had a chat with Carl Rosner (Great Dealer), they believe it may fit in one of the side panels - Will let you interested parties know and send pictures on completion.

Any further thoughts?

Eddie

·
Registered
592 Posts
Very interested to see how your install goes. Been looking at bike-to-bike communication as the girl and I do a lot of long-distance riding and would like to be able to communicate better.... not to mention GPS and Music.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Is there a reason why you're looking at the Autocom over the BlueAnt Interphone (or similar)? Seems to me if the big concern is mounting/hiding the base unit, a Bluetooth-based helmet solution (no bulky base unit) would be ideal.

I'd like to make sure there's something I'm not missing before I pull the trigger on a BlueAnt setup for me and my better half. :)

Thanks...

Jason

·
Registered
592 Posts
The biggest arguments I have against the interphones is that you can't power it from the bike and the bike-to-bike communication has been known to have limited talk time. While I'm not looking at spending hours talking to the girl on her bike while I'm riding on mine, I do look at using the device to listen to music and/or the GPS.

So if we're going to be out riding all day, and I'm listening to music (with just one earphone because that is all the interphone has), then when I need to tell the girl I need to stop for whatever reason, or some other piece of information, the battery will be dead for helmet to helmet. Granted there are work-arounds. Such as wearing the earbuds of my iPod that I wear now to listen to my music, do not have the turn by turns from the GPS (which I don't really need), and then only turning on the interphone when I need it to link to her or my cell phone... but that involves taking a hand off my controls every time I want to change source-destination.

The biggest advantage to the Autocom, IMO, is that it combines all the things you may want to do into a package that intellgently switches between them... You want Stereo music in your helmet? no problem. You want it to be quiet when the other riders communicate? no problem. You want your phone to be blue tooth connected? no problem. Need it to quiet your music when you get a call? no problem. GPS? no problem. Passenger? no problem.

Granted. MOST owners of a Thruxton aren't going to do 2/3rds or more of those things. But for those of us that do 300 mile days with other riders while we're on our Thruxtons do like some creature comforts in addition to a bike that looks good. We like the classic look, but the modern reliabilities... if it was just the look we were going for, we'd buy a classic, shift on the right, and add oil every time we stopped for gas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i'm in the same boat. i'm looking for some way to communicate with my wife on the pillion and others riding with us. we have a set of frs radios that i use when hunting. i had considered sourcing a set of vox headsets that would work with them and seeing how that worked out. i had also looked at the chatterbox frs set-ups. i don't need gps or cellphone. it seems that the chatterbox will allow mp3 hookup and bike to bike/rider to passenger communication for around 150.00 or less. anyone have any pros or cons? i looked into the nady stuff, but it's reviews are so scary i stayed away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Word on the Street - an update

Re : Autocom - I was told that the device may be fitted under the seat in space where (www.datatool.co.uk/) can be fitted - Off to a dealer to see the in's & out's. The next problem was the Sat Nav (Zumo550) - Where to fit? Decided on a tank bag (Moto Detail Unit) quite small - holder and pastic sleeve, magnetic and room for Kenwood Radio and iPod.

Next thought is where or how to attach the PTT (Push to talk button) will keep you all updated on the trek.

Be Safe - Eddie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Belated thanks to all concerned - Decision made.

Belated thank you to all who viewed and responded - I finally dug deep and went for the Autocom system.

Love it, easy to use and located the final set-up in a tank bag. (Pic's to follow)

I had a power cable fitted to the bike - The radio - (Kenwood TK3201) - The Autocom Pro-Rider, both live in the tank bag. Aesthetically this is not ideal but when touring 1000's of miles then forgivable, me thinks!. Security wise I fell more comfortable with it - taking the bag into cafes and hotel / B&B's. - One thing less to concern myself with.

My one major regret was not fitting my misses with one sooner, she had a spill at a roundabout (UK) and would have been alerted a lot sooner if had a radio fitted. Often people think units like this are navigational / gossip tools but I now believe they could also be a life saver in certain circumstances.

Finally, I have committed the ultimate sin!!! and installed a Zumo Sat Nav - I have read other posts and know this is a HOT topic - It was a personal choice - It works with the Autocom amazingly and phone as well.

So my parting thought is this, if you like looking cool from Cafe to Cafe - forget all the gadgets and go naked - If your like me when travelling from country to country and saviour putting Swiss ice in your Yoichi - Without running out of petrol garages - then this compromise I will gladly accommodate.

Spring has sprung, stop reading and get on your bike!.

Stay safe, check your mirrors it might be me overtaking...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts