Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just to clarify the price for the short carb one is $400 AUD? Or is that for the longer one?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The longer tray is still being worked on and a price won't be known until I get the fabricators bill. The smaller original trays can still be made at a cost of AUD $360 plus postage for a single tray.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I have the first new tray back and have started fitting it to my bike. I want to make sure this works, will post pictures when it's done.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I have the first new tray back and have started fitting it to my bike. I want to make sure this works, will post pictures when it's done.
That is friggen BREATHTAKING!!!!!

Exactly what I was trying to do... but... But... BETTER!!! Love how you "enclosed" the back top!!

YOU ARE THE FABRICATING MAN!!!

Look at the STORAGE Carbed bikes can have!!!!! Looks to be enough room for all that modern EFI junk also.

Combining this with Geoff's Seat Latch will be

8 mounting points? Pillars front and rear and tabs in the center cross members? I "think" I saw pics of it fitted with the seat and cowl on (9th, 10th & 11th pic)... am I correct?

I need to get to work on the Hugger. :D Now you have me rethinking the Seatpan/Cowl I'm going to fab for solo riding. If I make the cowl taller I may be able to fit a 6 pack under it... but I don't think the seat rails are far enough apart though I'm going to check! :D

How to finish it:confused: Black to make it match the frame (stealth mode)? Brush it to match the cases? Brushed with Faux (flat black paint) Lighting Holes to match other parts? OH OH... Engine Turned!?? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thanks Gunny :thumb
still could be a few weeks off, working late all this week so won't get near it for at least another week, sorry guys.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Gunner Fender

For those that are following Fity's development....

I picked up one of Fity's Carbed Trays when he first put them out there. After mounting it and looking at it while taking a break and having a beverage..I got to thinking "I need a way to protect the engine from road spray without screwing up the look of the open frame look!" After a "few" more Guinness (Guinesses, Guinnesii ???) I came to the conclusion that I needed a “Hugger Rear Fender” (I live in the world of Harley Davidson and Sports Bikes. Daytona Bike Week and Leesburg Bikefest are local) Guess what?… no such thing for a Triumph Modern Classic!! So I decided I needed to make my own (fiberglass). When I mentioned that I was going to make such a thing to Fity he said he would be interested in one for his bike. That got me to thinking there may be others interested also. I am not trying to get into the Fender business nor make a living at his but am like Fity, seeing I’m doing this, others may be interested and now they will have an option for a rear fender to keep engine clean.

That is the reason post.

I need some opinions on the fender design itself (1st step). Whether or not you are actually going to go to the open frame look or not (if you are following this thread) JUST PRETEND YOU ARE and give me your opinion on a few things. The reason for these questions are I only want to make one fender mold!!

These will be a given on the fender....

1 - Fender WILL be shipped in the raw (i.e. final finishing/prep for paint and drilling for mounting will be needed)
2 - Fender will be short enough not to need a rear brace (maybe 90 degrees total?)
3 - Fender will have a ridge down the middle to add strength
4 - Fender will be "wide" at the mounting point on the front (engine side) of the swing arm to keep engine as clean as possible and taper to a smaller width at the back
5 - Fender will be made as a standalone.. i.e. will NOT incorporate a chain guard (but will work with OEM/After Market guards
6 - Fender will ship with required rivet nuts for swing arm mounting

The questions that I need opinions on concern the fenders middle ridge and back edge contour. Opinions will vary of course but trying to get ideas/feedback/general consensus before I start fabing up the fender (which will be used to make the mold for making other fenders)

Ridge - The ridge will be "deepest" at the mounting bracket (as deep (or a tad more) then OEM front Fender).

#1 Do I keep the ridge the same all the way to the back?

Or

#2 Do I taper the ridge it to a flat rear? (harder)

~ ~ Full Ridge Back or Flat Back ~ ~ :confused:

Rear Contour.

#1 Do I make the back “square”. This would allow for end user to finish it to the contour he desires (which will take the the most fabrication work) but each fender could be “individualized”.

Or

#2 Do I make the back “U” shape like the front fender or more of a “V” shape (tapering from wide at the mount to the point of the “V” at the rear). A “V” back would take less “Fabing/Finishing” if you wanted a “U” shape. )

OR

#3 No one really gives a Ratsass about this project and I just make it how I THINK it looks best and all others be damned!

~ ~ Square, "U", "V", or "Don't give a ratsass and you just wasted 5 minutes of MY LIFE!! ~ ~ :confused:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Yeah would have been sooner unfortunately work commitments have taken priority, will have some pics. and a price for those interested soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This tray is a great idea, but for small money (but a lot of hours) I have welded in a piece of sheet steel between the frame rails from the tail around the frame gussets and up to the backbone. With a Shorai battery, everything on my EFI just fits in the space (battery, ECU, starter solenoid, the four relays, stock fuse box, fall switch and AP sensor).

If you're looking for a "bolt-on" solution...you're still going to want to de-tab and paint the area around where the airbox and side covers were, which is best done with the bike stripped down.

I'm not a bike builder, nor a welder, but this was a fun and long winter project.

-ATM

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
For sale, a slimline tray that can achieve the open frame look for both carbed and EFI bikes (sorry Gunny no room for a 6 pack :D)
Cost for one will be AUD $410 + Postage
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
For sale, a slimline tray that can achieve the open frame look for both carbed and EFI bikes (sorry Gunny no room for a 6 pack :D)
Cost for one will be AUD $410 + Postage
:bow:applause:notworthy:ClapHappy:happay

Put me down for one!! Will have to wait till first of the month to send funds as rebuild budget comes out of retirement check.

It does look like it will hold a couple pints of Guinness Draught in a can laying down... maybe even the entire 4 pack! We shall see!

·
Registered
202 Posts
nice job indeed and i soo much want it ... however i still need to save for that price tag considering that i need to add shipping charges to Malta, Europe then add 18% and add 7% customs charges ... will end up to around EUR 450 which then i have to add EUR 150 for a Ballistic Battery and EUR 100 charger

will keep in touch very soon!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
abw there hasn't been any noticeable difference when riding in normal road conditions but with no rear fender if you ride in the rain water spray will hit the filters and the back of the motor. I have been caught in a couple of light showers and it wasn't a too bad

·
Registered
100 Posts
abw there hasn't been any noticeable difference when riding in normal road conditions but with no rear fender if you ride in the rain water spray will hit the filters and the back of the motor. I have been caught in a couple of light showers and it wasn't a too bad
There's an Italian company (Kompo-Tech) who do something for a Honda - kind of like a rear-wheel hugger, but not as flash.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12219509_894243273987151_3833396460661810075_n.jpg?oh=64aaa2094a2ff3f33924520543909177&oe=56F4C79C

I'm thinking if I can't find something like this for a Bonnie, I might try to fabricate something out of some sheet aluminium.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts