Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benefits or negatives? I am thinking, no rust, lighter.

Negative, won't be as pretty as chrome. What do you guys think?

·
29,945 Posts
The alloy rims still look good, and being lighter is OK and all that - however, would you really notice the lightness? Depends on your riding style and abilities. I doubt if I would notice it.

It will be pricey to have the wheels rebuilt, plus the cost of new rims.

I would think you would be better off spending that money on other improvements - you'll get better value for money in terms of feel. I don't know what mods you have already done on your bike.

·
29,945 Posts
Well, the thread got no response in twins talk, so I thought I would see if it got more attention here. Sometimes a thread will get more response in one forum than another, that was really why I moved it, to give it more chance of getting a good answer - or an answer at any rate. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Polar Moment - dull post within

The lower mass of an alloy rim is not the main advantage per se, it is the reduced polar moment of inertia that is a result of the lower rim mass that provides a significant handling and acceleration advantage. This is true on both autos and bikes, but the combined lower polar moment and reduced gyroscopic forces when rapidly changing direction (the "twisties") is particularly advantageous on bikes. Polar moment is a combination of the radius of the rim as well as mass; that 's why sport bikes have small diameter wheels.

That all said, I put polished Sun alloys on one of my T100s because they look cool - and actually increased the rear diameter to 18" :>)

Dick

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Just keep a look out on ebay . Thruxton rims ( sometimes hub and all ) are on . Still go for some $$$ but they're available . Any real difference ? Mostly looks .

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm rolling with Thruxton wheels on my 790.
The weight saving is not very much. That lump they call a hub is where the weight is.
The bike does turn in quicker and requires less effort to do so. You will notice the difference directly. I like 'em.
Is it worth it? Mehh, it probabaly depends on what you can get them for and how cash rich you are.
I got the complete wheels, cush drive, sprocket + a front tire for $200. I didn't really have anything to loose because I could always turn around and sell them if I wanted.

If you only get the rims and them have to pay to have them built then I would say forget it. By the time you add it all up you can probably get an R1/3 front end and rear wheel for not that much more. Then you'd really have something for the money.

I'd look at all the options carefully and then deside which way to go.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
"Motorcyclist" magazine reports a 7 pound weight savings by using the alloy rims from RK Excel America. In their January '09 test of a modified Scrambler Eurosports of Philadelphia, PA mounted a 3.0" x 19" front (suggested retail: $280) and 4.5" x 17" rear alloy ($300) rim, eventually paring off a total of 45 pounds from the bike. Seven pounds of unsprung weight is substantial and would make a big difference in the handling of a Bonnie. Even more of a benefit could be realized if an 18" hoop was used, as a greater selection of high performance tires would be available and steering would quicken up over the 19 incher. Yes, with spokes, nipples and installation this would be an expensive (say $1200-1500), but a noticeable difference would be forthcoming.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Sheepdog, did they say what brand rims they used? I really like the idea of alloy rims to lighten the unsprung weight but all the aftermarket stuff I've seen was considerably more expensive.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sheepdog, did they say what brand rims they used? I really like the idea of alloy rims to lighten the unsprung weight but all the aftermarket stuff I've seen was considerably more expensive.
Excel - but I used Sun rims on my bike

Dick

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you really want a noticeable change in looks or performance, IMO, you aren't going to get there just switching from the stock steel wheels to a set of aluminums that are smaller diameter. You'll get a little increase, but to get enough to make it worthwhile, I'd spend the cash and get a set of Carrozzeria's. They are forged aluminum and have a substantial weight savings, plus they allow you to go tubeless. Otherwise, I'd stay with the stockers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts