Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate a little advice. I am in the process of replacing my deceased K75, and am having trouble deciding between a Thruxton and a Street Triple. The bike will be an only child, and will primarily be used to commute to work on occasion (30 miles round trip), weekend rides in neighboring counties, and an occasional trip to the beach and mountains, both about 200 miles away. I have test ridden both, and like both for different reasons. The test rides were not terribly long, so I am soliciting thoughts from those of you who might have experience with either or both. In an ideal world, I'd probably buy one of each, but the kid is still in college

Thx

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think you will find either to be a great upgrade to your K75. Being a Thruxton owner, I am biased, but I already had built a streetfighter style bike from a yamaha 1000cc superbike (no plastic, no instruments, motocross headlight, flat black painted tank, shorter gearing for 3rd gear power wheelies, etc.) like the street triple so I didn't want to go down that route again as I had never had a 'classic' style bike before. Objectively, the street triple is lighter, faster, handles much better and has far stronger brakes, although I am sure there are those on this board with their 'I blew away a street triple while canyon scratching this weekend' stories, this would not be the case under controlled conditions with an identical and skilled rider. Few would argue that the Thrux is a much better looking machine in a purely aesthetic sense, but the street triple has a purposeful look that many will find appealing. I bought the Thrux anyway and coming from a K75, you probably won't miss the added performance you get from the street triple. If you aren't going to be riding more than 200 miles per day, either will be ok comfort wise, although neither will get you their without stopping for gas and you will be a bit fatigued when you do arrive since neither has a real fairing. Either way, you will be a happy man.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think you know the answer to this . :rolleyes:

You're coming from a K bike ? If you want the grunt go to the Street . If you want a retro twin ? Thrux. You'll most likely want the Street3 .

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If there is one think I am an expert in, it is my opinion. Here it is.
The Thruxton is a retro bike done really well. The 675 is a modern standard also done really well. The Thrux has skinny tires making it feel like the original triumphs. On a good day, stock it only has 60 HP also making it feel like a really good original Triumph.
The 675 on the other hand is a completly modern, with motor, brakes, frame.

Buy both.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm in a similar fix. You see, I have my eye on two pieces of property and I can't decide. One is an unheated log cabin in Western Pennsylvania, the other is the Empire State building. Both have their appeal, but I'm just not sure.

;-)

Totally different bikes made for totally different purposes. For 3 seasons per year, I commute about 50 miles round trip on a Thruxton. I also use it as a sport tourer, going for long weekends whenever the weather permits. I'm on track to put about 15,000 miles on it per year. So yeah, you could do it.

Is it comfortable? Not particularly. Is it fast? Not really. But does that mean I want a Striple more then my Thruxton? No.

Only you know your own heart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts