Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys some background info:

My set Perreli sport demons are done , lost a front tyre due to a road razor.

Started shopping around went to the dealer and we checked the stock sizes , showed him the road cut in the front .We realied both the front and back tyres werent standard

standard sizes vs current

100/90-18 front vs 110/80-18
130/80-17 back vs 140/80-17

Previous owner did a fender eliminator kit.Totally understand the rear 140 choice else the tyre may look small and perhaps out of place
I read up about the Front and lots of guys say they will never go back to stock and they're sticking to to the 110/80s due to handling

Then i saw some guys go with 150/70s or 150/80's on the back

So my Question is: Who of you have played around with a few tyre sizes on your and what do you prefer for your particular riding style, also how do they handle in the twisties?

Trying to find out to what should I upgrade .

Any information would be appreciated

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve been running a 110/80-18 and a 150/70-17 on my ‘04 since about 2005. All of them have been Bridgestone radials: BT-021, BT-023, T30 EVO and now T31. They absolutely make the bike. Handling is fantastic. I’ve probably got about 30k miles with the various Bridgestones.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
My used '05 came with the 110/140 combo but the tire brands were not the same. I bought some Pilot Activs in the stock size. I liked the way the bike handled. Liked those tires a lot. I personally like the look of the skinny tires on these bikes. If I want fat I ride my Daytona or Ninja.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Manufactures put a lot of engineering into our bikes to attempt to optimize performance. OEM recommended tire sizes will likely provide that. More/bigger tires does not automatically translate to more/better performance, maybe a better look if that's want ya want.

Paul

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Continental come in standard sizes as RADIALS I found them superior to Pirelli Sport Demons . Until I changed wheels , Talon hubs supermoto width rims to run 120/70 front 160/60 rear 17" .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts