Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most dealers and the manual say 500 miles but my dealer said bring it back at 800 so it's given a thorough break-in. I'm approaching that mileage now but having second thoughts on the $200 service...

Questions:

---What is everyone paying for their break-in (first) service?

---How important is the service above and beyond the oil change?

---Thoughts on doing the oil change myself (have experience and tools) and then just paying the dealer the shop rate for a thorough safety check and diagnostics?

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've scheduled my first service for next Friday and I'm currently at 460 miles on the odometer so I'll be past the 500 miles when it goes in, but by how much depends on the weather in the next week. (Please don't rain, please don't rain...) Fortunately, I don't anticipate paying anything for it as I negotiated the first service into the purchase.

·
Registered
280 Posts
First service today at 630 miles and was included in the purchase of the bike so didn't cost me anything. One thing to note is that the throttle bodies may need to be re-synched. My bike had a slight juddering feel under acceleration which is now much smoother and the tech said this was because the TBs were not quite synched which is common at the first service. ******** or not I don't know but it is definitely smoother post service.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I can't understand why the first service is so important at a specific 500 miles when you can thrash it for another 10000 miles until the next service.:surprise:

This is BS to me?

I wouldn't buy a second hand bike that hadn't had an oil change for 16000km.

I owners stay with Triumph's recommendations I see major issues for these models down the track.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On the other hand I don't think that there will be too many Thruxton owners riding 16000 km per year, so the annual oil service will probably be performed at a more reasonable mileage for the majority of the bikes.

And for a price reference I just paid the equivalent of ~$390 for the 500 mile service. Stupid Swedish prices.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can't understand why the first service is so important at a specific 500 miles when you can thrash it for another 10000 miles until the next service.:surprise:

This is BS to me?

I wouldn't buy a second hand bike that hadn't had an oil change for 16000km.

I owners stay with Triumph's recommendations I see major issues for these models down the track.
As I understand it, the first oil gets charged with a lot more metal particles during the break in. hence the need to change it quickly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I understand it, the first oil gets charged with a lot more metal particles during the break in. hence the need to change it quickly.
Got mine done at my dealer's recommendation of 800 miles. Charged me $199. Talked to the tech and he said the oil was really clean and had no visible metal shavings/dust as usually expected. Draw your own conclusions but I used a slightly aggressive break-in method.

·
Registered
488 Posts
$263.87 including tax at Ace Motorsports in Concord, California.

Wish I had negotiated it beforehand as others have, but figured it would be worth it just to have a full service in the system. I did get a copy of the green sheet to keep with my records.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I was at nearly 2500 km and my first service was gift. (159 €)

Reactions: rafar

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
What a lovely gift! My first service was at 545 miles. $260 in Tucson, Arizona.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The break in oil becomes very thin and almost watery. The steps on the throttle bodies also need to be adjusted "very important." ASK FOR A GREEN SHEET when getting a service at your Triumph store. Also, there are allot of people complaining about their bikes cutting out during that first 500 miles. The throttle adjustment should eliminate that. I have a complete list of 500 mile items to be done if you would like. I charge $300 otd for the first service. That is only .016% of the cost of the bike. Sometimes peace of mind has great value.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thruxton 1200 "500 mile" service. Same as Thruxton 900

The service list is almost identical for all Triumph's on the 500 mile except for shaft drive bikes. The new Thruxton is more difficult because the adjustment is dead center between the throttle bodies and is a big PITA. That is why I wonder why anybody would do it for $60. You will regret turning the light off and not doing the work. Tampa Triumph PDF is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Certainly a wide variation in pricing being posted.

I paid £60 including taxes from a UK main dealer (around 80 USD or 72 Euros). That included the oil, filter and the latest mapping download. There was no problem with the throttle bodies/balancing (checked and OK) and it was a pleasurable experience to do business. The dealer also threw in the loan of a Bonneville so I could travel a short distance to grab some breakfast and make a business call.

Having paid top dollar for the new bike, good to feel I'm being looked after.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts