Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for helmet locks for my new Thruxton 1200. Any of you guys have recommendations? I'm surprised it doesn't come with one under the seat, even my previous CBR600RR had one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was surprised too, but I ended up going with a handgun cable lock.
Works PERFECTLY! feed the cable through the headlight bracket and rest the helmet on the large lolipop blinkers. It doesn't really bend them or anything, but I'm hoping that I break the blinker off so i have an excuse for the wife to buy new ones haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not at all surprised that it doesn't have a helmet lock. I don't remember any of the Triumphs that I've owned having one. They're British bikes and we don't usually lock our helmets to our bikes here. It rains too much!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you guys carry an extra helmet for when picking up your dates then? ;) No really though. I need to pick up my lady friends and I rather not have to strap it on my backpack.

Btw I'm from Southern California and we're pretty fortunate to have sun all year round.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was surprised too, but I ended up going with a handgun cable lock.
Works PERFECTLY! feed the cable through the headlight bracket and rest the helmet on the large lolipop blinkers. It doesn't really bend them or anything, but I'm hoping that I break the blinker off so i have an excuse for the wife to buy new ones haha
I have my CHL so I just go with the handgun :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
How do you guys carry an extra helmet for when picking up your dates then? ;) No really though. I need to pick up my lady friends and I rather not have to strap it on my backpack.

Btw I'm from Southern California and we're pretty fortunate to have sun all year round.
Where do they sit? If you need to add the twin seat and passenger pegs, well, then, you need to add the helmet lock, too.

PSA re: Cable Gun Lock - In many states, you can get them for free at the police station.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I've already ordered my twin seat and pegs. I'm unable to find a helmet lock that specifically works with the new Thruxtons though.

·
Registered
484 Posts

I'd probably use a cargo net and keep it on the back of the seat.

Reactions: gerard9

·
Registered
311 Posts
Despite living in the UK I am still looking for a decent lock. The helmet guardian looks like it would be a bit dodgy with the FEK and pipes. I am using a cable at the moment but will try some eBay locks I think. I must remember to take the lock off my bikes before selling them.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Do you have a link where this is from?
It looks the same as mine which is just a generic Chinese eBay lock.
Mounted mine on the frame under the seat, not sure I'd want my helmet resting near a hot engine.
Motone do one that fits on the top suspension mount but cost 5 times more than my lock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea, that looks so much cleaner and I wouldn't want it near the engine either - is yours mounted to the shock or under the seat that I can't see?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks the same as mine which is just a generic Chinese eBay lock.
Mounted mine on the frame under the seat, not sure I'd want my helmet resting near a hot engine.
Motone do one that fits on the top suspension mount but cost 5 times more than my lock.
View attachment 728988
Yea, that looks so much cleaner and I wouldn't want it near the engine either - is yours mounted to the shock or under the seat that I can't see?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I couldn't find one listed on eBay for the Thruxton so I bought one with a bracket that I thought I could adapt to fit it on the top shock mount, but I wasn't happy with the way it looked so I just mounted the lock directly to the frame "gusset", think it was just an M5 tapped hole.
Like I said Motone do one but because I'm a bit of a mingebag I didn't want to pay £50, their lock looks exactly the same as my £10 one.

Reactions: steveguberman
1 - 19 of 19 Posts