Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello friend riders!
Merry Christmass and Happy new Year!
I wish to all of you Health-Personal and Family Happiness-and love!
dont forget to ride!

After reading and learning from RAT network i decide to move on step2 in my Thrux performance mod and take off the AI Secondary air injection thing(no1 step was TORS+ 115 main Jets )
I order my AI removal set from www.Newbonneville.com and install it at garage in about 1 and a half hour time.I follow instructions from Haynes manual and common sense and all went fine!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
After 5.900 km-with AI -I have to say only but excellent comments
1.Pop from TORS eliminated at 98% at least-only small but pleasant pops-remind the British character of the engine
2.The most significant thing at my opinion BIG IMPROVEMENT AT ENGINE RUNNING-works very smoothly now-very controlled-the throtlle is much responsive and involving .
At high revs closing throtle no air sucking-no poping i feel more the power of the engine.
3.Blueing of pipes-I dont mind about that i like the blue effect as is.

for all of you thinking about AI Removal i have only 1 thing to say:
GO FOR IT !
It works!!

Thanks again for all information and advicing
Eugene B
Athens Hellas

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good job, Eugene. It's nice to get all that crap out of the engine.

Nice to get those little projects under your belt before starting on the big ones.

What's next for you to do? Airbox? Seems like the normal progression for you and you will be astonished at the increased power and intake sound.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Eugene - I agree 100% with Sito - you should definitely remove the airbox! The difference in performance is amazing!
I have one question for anyone who can answer - I've read in a few posts now that removing the AI eliminates the popping from the exhaust - I don't know if it's because I have the K&N's + Predators but I get a lot of popping when I let go the throttle up to stop signs, traffic lights etc - any idea if this is normal? To be honest it doesn't really bother me. I had the carbs & A/F mix checked at the dealers after airbox removal & installing the pipes and everything was normal after a little tweaking. Also the AI was removed at the dealers when the bike was first bought and the pipes are still blue - it has 1900 miles on it now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thruxton05 AI removal

Thanks for comments Sito and Triton750,
my next projects definetly be the Airbox removal-the only thing thats holds me off is re-jetting the carbs-and negative comments from Triumph authorized servicemen -they told me to not remove the airbox because of exposing the air filters to enviroment could be hazardous for the carbs/motor.They told me that if rain or water comes into air filters could destroy them.

because i use thruxton at every day use -i am a litlle afraid of removing airbox-i am not ride only at sunshine weekends-or track days/so am a little phobic about that surgery.
what you guys think-is it dangerous to ride with pod filters at rain or bad weather will be affect the carbs?

ride safe/stay alive

Eugene B

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'll bet if you did a poll on this board you'd find that 70% remove the airbox.

There are some holdouts though, but I've never heard the "water in the carbs" argument before. Mainly, riders who don't remove it believe that the engineers designed it for a purpose, mainly to channel the air correctly into the carbs. Of course, it's precisely this reason that the airflow is so restricted with the airbox and removing it is so helpful. Others can chime in with more valid reasons.

But if it's your only transportation and you don't get the jetting right then you could have a bike that's not perfect--until you get it right--but it's not that big a deal.

Listening to you, I think I'd hold off doing it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Eugene - I agree 100% with Sito - you should definitely remove the airbox! The difference in performance is amazing!
I have one question for anyone who can answer - I've read in a few posts now that removing the AI eliminates the popping from the exhaust - I don't know if it's because I have the K&N's + Predators but I get a lot of popping when I let go the throttle up to stop signs, traffic lights etc - any idea if this is normal? To be honest it doesn't really bother me. I had the carbs & A/F mix checked at the dealers after airbox removal & installing the pipes and everything was normal after a little tweaking. Also the AI was removed at the dealers when the bike was first bought and the pipes are still blue - it has 1900 miles on it now.
I think the popping on decel is caused more from being correctly a little rich as well as the high flow pipes you have.

Installing 2-into-1 d&d's today--woo hoo! Sound clips on the exhaust thread forthcoming--I recorded the dominator sports yesterday so we'll have both side by side to compare.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for comments Sito and Triton750,
my next projects definetly be the Airbox removal-the only thing thats holds me off is re-jetting the carbs-and negative comments from Triumph authorized servicemen -they told me to not remove the airbox because of exposing the air filters to enviroment could be hazardous for the carbs/motor.They told me that if rain or water comes into air filters could destroy them.

because i use thruxton at every day use -i am a litlle afraid of removing airbox-i am not ride only at sunshine weekends-or track days/so am a little phobic about that surgery.
what you guys think-is it dangerous to ride with pod filters at rain or bad weather will be affect the carbs?

ride safe/stay alive

Eugene B
Eugene
I have the sidepanels on which covers the majority of the K&N's but I can definitely see them through the gap between the sidepanel & the seat/frame. Maybe you could design a small shield from a thin sheet of alum (and spray it the same color as the bike) and mount it under the seat/frame/inside of the side panel to prevent any water ingestion?
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think the popping on decel is caused more from being correctly a little rich as well as the high flow pipes you have.

Installing 2-into-1 d&d's today--woo hoo! Sound clips on the exhaust thread forthcoming--I recorded the dominator sports yesterday so we'll have both side by side to compare.
Thanks for the info - good luck with the new pipes! I love mine - it was like riding a sewing machine before!

I heard that D&D's are louder than Predators but haven't heard them side by side. The Predators are more than loud enough for me though!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the info - good luck with the new pipes! I love mine - it was like riding a sewing machine before!

I heard that D&D's are louder than Predators but haven't heard them side by side. The Predators are more than loud enough for me though!
I think db-wise you may be right--but these 2-into-1s are supposed to sound more dirt-bikeish than HD-ish. We'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts