Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thruxton/t120 shifting

I have a 2016 Thruxton R, and the first 3 upshifts (1-2, 2-3, 3-4) are somewhat clunky. 4-5 and 5-6 are silky smooth. Anyone else experience this and is there any remedies (ie. different oil, I'm using Motorex which is supposed to help shift quality but I see no difference). Doesn't seem to make much difference preloading the shifter either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your clutch, it might not be fully disengaging. The ratios in the "smooth" gears are a lot closer than the ones in the lower gears.
thanks, i'll give that a shot. just wondering if it's 'normal' for it to clunk in those gears. i see/hear it in videos of the bike as well (jump to 0:35):

·
Registered
249 Posts
My shifts are like that: 1-2-3-4 are clunky, 4-5-6 are smooth, but only when doing clutchless upshifts. When using the light and easy to modulate clutch, all shifts are as smooth as I want them to be. As Ranjith noted, the 4-5-6 are much closely spaced thus no big drop in RPMs.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
My shifts are like that: 1-2-3-4 are clunky, 4-5-6 are smooth, but only when doing clutchless upshifts. When using the light and easy to modulate clutch, all shifts are as smooth as I want them to be. As Ranjith noted, the 4-5-6 are much closely spaced thus no big drop in RPMs.
So are mine and this was after first service?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you are timing your throttle and clutch correctly and you clutch is properly adjusted all the changes should be smooth as butter. Mine are on my Thruxton, although my Street Scrambler shifts ever smoother. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just use the recommended Castrol and focus on getting the changes right.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
You are lucky that you do not have the same problem.
I have made my clutch adjustments and they are correct.
I have changed my oil since the service and it has made no difference.
In my opinion there is an issue with my selector and this is is not an isolated incident.

My gear changes were like yours until the dealer did my first service then I had this issue.
It is a problem with the selector mechanics.

Your suggestions are basic, simplistic and condescending.

Have a look at some previous posts on the gear change linkage weakness.

If my gear changes had not been smooth before the service I would not have noticed such a big difference.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Lower gears, slightly clunky. Higher gears, higher RPM and higher speed, buttery smooth. It's been a characteristic of the beast for over three years now. No concerns here.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You are lucky that you do not have the same problem.
I have made my clutch adjustments and they are correct.
I have changed my oil since the service and it has made no difference.
In my opinion there is an issue with my selector and this is is not an isolated incident.

My gear changes were like yours until the dealer did my first service then I had this issue.
It is a problem with the selector mechanics.

Your suggestions are basic, simplistic and condescending.

Have a look at some previous posts on the gear change linkage weakness.

If my gear changes had not been smooth before the service I would not have noticed such a big difference.
Apologies. I wasn’t directing my remarks at your situation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've adjusted the clutch and found no difference in shift quality. This is based off the manual:

- Set the lever adjuster to a point where an equal adjustment is possible in both directions.
- Set the adjuster bracket at the clutch cover end to give a preliminary setting of 2-3mm of free play as measured at the lever.
- operate the clutch lever several times and recheck the free play present.
- set the final adjustment of the cable to give 1-2 mm of free play at the lever

Is there a different method or anything else I should check?

If you are timing your throttle and clutch correctly and you clutch is properly adjusted all the changes should be smooth as butter. Mine are on my Thruxton, although my Street Scrambler shifts ever smoother. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just use the recommended Castrol and focus on getting the changes right.
I understand timing of the throttle and clutch to get smooth shifts in general (as I have experienced on all other bikes I have owned), but the clunks occur 100% if the time in lower gears as long as I have owned it (2nd owner). It's not a loud clunk like going from N to 1, but definitely not buttery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since it happened after the first service, have you checked the chain adjustment? A lot of mechanics adjust chains to be slightly tight, under the impression theyll stretch out for that last couple of mm after a few hours of riding, which is true 20 or 30 years ago but not so much now with much better and more precisely machined chains. A tight chain, even if its only very slightly tight, will have the same feeling, jerky and clunky shifts in low gears. Even if the chain looks totally fine and within the adjustment spec, it wouldnt hurt trying to pull the rear wheel in a mm or two and see if that helps.

As far as adjusting the clutch, I never go that far into it. Unless the cables really old or someones has messed with it, you generally dont have to adjust at the engine side. What I do is sit on the bike in first gear with the clutch in, back the lock wheel off the adjuster, and then turn it in small increments while letting the clutch out until it grabs where i want it to. For me, thats very close to the bars, but basically you want to have at minimum about 1/3rd - 1/4 of the lever travel available *after* the bite point to ensure its going to fully engage. If you cant get it somewhere you like it, thats when you go down to the engine side and start doing the big adjustments.

*edit* yeah i just fully read that official adjustment procedure, for me thats way too little free play. 1-2mm is such a small amount of play that its really easy to end up having your clutch dragging. I set mine up pretty much the exact opposite of that, with a few mm of free play at the bars and a big chunk of freeplay on the pull. Maybe thats "wrong" but I like the feeling of it, especially sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since it happened after the first service, have you checked the chain adjustment? A lot of mechanics adjust chains to be slightly tight, under the impression theyll stretch out for that last couple of mm after a few hours of riding, which is true 20 or 30 years ago but not so much now with much better and more precisely machined chains. A tight chain, even if its only very slightly tight, will have the same feeling, jerky and clunky shifts in low gears. Even if the chain looks totally fine and within the adjustment spec, it wouldnt hurt trying to pull the rear wheel in a mm or two and see if that helps.

As far as adjusting the clutch, I never go that far into it. Unless the cables really old or someones has messed with it, you generally dont have to adjust at the engine side. What I do is sit on the bike in first gear with the clutch in, back the lock wheel off the adjuster, and then turn it in small increments while letting the clutch out until it grabs where i want it to. For me, thats very close to the bars, but basically you want to have at minimum about 1/3rd - 1/4 of the lever travel available *after* the bite point to ensure its going to fully engage. If you cant get it somewhere you like it, thats when you go down to the engine side and start doing the big adjustments.

*edit* yeah i just fully read that official adjustment procedure, for me thats way too little free play. 1-2mm is such a small amount of play that its really easy to end up having your clutch dragging. I set mine up pretty much the exact opposite of that, with a few mm of free play at the bars and a big chunk of freeplay on the pull. Maybe thats "wrong" but I like the feeling of it, especially sitting in traffic.
Thanks for the insight. I checked the chain, cleaned and lubed it hoping it might help. From a casual check it seemed to be within spec, but you could be right that loosening might help.

I also thought that wasn't a whole lot of freeplay, I will continue to experiment with the clutch adjustment to see if it helps. Like I mentioned before, I can understand if the clunking was an intermittent issue that could be solved by better timing of the shifts, like if I'm sloppy with the 4-5 or 5-6 shift, yes I can get them to clunk, but the 1-4 seem unaffected by technique or finesse.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve been riding a new T120 for about a month and I find the gearbox to be “butter-smooth” similar to the other posters. It definitely has an audible clunk when I shift but I think it’s normal and I find it very satisfying TBH. I rode a Honda CB300F for the previous 2 seasons which had a flimsy feeling gearbox, and I heard that clunking on other bikes (Harleys etc) and I just figured it was a bigger bike thing. I ride in city traffic so I spend a lot of time shifting between gears 1-3 and I’ve never found the gearbox on my Bonneville to be anything but a joy to operate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve been riding a new T120 for about a month and I find the gearbox to be “butter-smooth” similar to the other posters. It definitely has an audible clunk when I shift but I think it’s normal and I find it very satisfying TBH. I rode a Honda CB300F for the previous 2 seasons which had a flimsy feeling gearbox, and I heard that clunking on other bikes (Harleys etc) and I just figured it was a bigger bike thing. I ride in city traffic so I spend a lot of time shifting between gears 1-3 and I’ve never found the gearbox on my Bonneville to be anything but a joy to operate.
I'm wondering if others that say their bike shifts butter smooth also have an audible sound when shifting. I personally would define butter smooth as a shift with no audible sound (like the 4-5 and 5-6 shifts on my bike).

·
Registered
100 Posts

I would go easy with the clutchless shifting this tiny little chip in the pivot plate on my T120 prevented my bike from downshifting and this part isn't the easiest thing to replace. The you tube video talks about what happened on mine but I still can't believe that actually broke this part.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well you (CanberraR3) must must have got a good one. Mine is noisy in the lower gears pre and post dealer service and the mechanic said it was normal.

Using 10/50 oil might make a marginal difference - its allowed in the handbook.

I just grin and bear it. Makes me think I'm on an old beemer.

Cheers Kiwiheoff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you (CanberraR3) must must have got a good one. Mine is noisy in the lower gears pre and post dealer service and the mechanic said it was normal.

Using 10/50 oil might make a marginal difference - its allowed in the handbook.

I just grin and bear it. Makes me think I'm on an old beemer.

Cheers Kiwiheoff
lol, my old beemer is smoother than this bike!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts