Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

As you can tell, I am very new to this forum [but I have been reading this forum for awhile now]. I am ready to buy my first bike and I just love classic motorcycle look of the Thruxton & the Bonneville. I was leaning more towards the Thrux until I compared its specs with the Bonnie, & they are pretty much the same bike, isn’t it ? Of course the Thrux looks a lot sexier because of its clip-ons & seat cowl – but isn’t it true that you can make a Bonnie look pretty much like a thrux [except the decal on the tank].

In terms of real life application, is the difference substantial ? It looks like Bonnie offer a better value for your money IMHO. Please tell me if I missing something – thanks a lot

D

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Bonnies and Thruxtons seem like the same bikes but when you get down to the nitty gritty Thruxtons have some more higher end performance parts compared to the Bonnie . The Thruxton has higher , stiffer rear shocks , a floating front disc , adjustable load front forks , etc . The exhaust headers are slightly different as well. T100s have a classier paint . Scramblers have their differences as well.

What it all comes down to is what you want . A bit of a performer Thrux , a blank canvas to do what you want Bonnie , classiness cool T100 or rugged Scramber .
Whatever bike you pic you're gonna love it .

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I am ready to buy my first bike...
Ah, that's an easy one. Get a Bonneville. You'll be able to buy one cheaper than a Thruxton, and with the money saved, you can invest into good riding gear. Get some serious seat time on the Bonnie, and if you decide you really want a cafe racer, it's so much easier to convert a Bonnie into a CR as opposed to converting a Thruxton into a Standard.

/Mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was also debating the same thing and ended up going with the Bonnie. It is also my first bike and the guys at the dealership said the clip-ons would be a little trickier to handle for a new rider. Keep in mind that the 09 Thrux no longer comes with clip-ons. They come with bars that are very similar to the NH M bars which is what I've switched to by now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Go test drive both at your local dealer. The bonnie is definitely going to be a more comfortable ride, and like the other have said, it's easier to mod a bonnie to look like a thrux than the other way around. That all being said I got the Thrux because I wanted a cafe-style bike.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Test Ride Sounds Like Really Good Idea

I 1st rode my friends Bonnie; I think it was an '01 (790cc). It was great. But I'd ridden for many years and wanted something with a bit more performance so went with the Thruxton. I'm glad I did (but if someone wants to give me a standard Bonnie to park along side my Thrux, I promise I will ride it at least half as much as I ride my Thrux).

Ride safe,
Shep

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think it just depends what kind of bike you want. A Bonnie is more "relaxed" stock, whereas a Thruxton is sportier. The bars on the '09 Thrux are not as low as the clip-ons from previous years' models you wouldn't have a problem on it as a first-time rider I don't think. Thrux is a bit taller than a Bonnie, but I'm 5'8" and can flatfoot it.

Ride both and see which one "speaks" to you! For me, the laid-back Bonnie seating position is not as exciting as the sportier Thrux position. But obviously there are many who prefer the Bonnie. Riding is the only way to know.

Thruxton-izing a Bonnie will end up costing more than the Thrux would be new. It's only like a G more out tha door . . .

For the record, I knew I wanted a Thrux as soon as I saw it. It's one of the best buying decisions I've ever made. I. Love. It.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One more thing... you said this was your first bike, I highly recommend taking the MSF class. Best 300 bucks I've ever spent. Being a new rider I've had a couple of those OH SH!T moments and keeping in mind some of the stuff I learned in the class has kept me out of trouble.

·
Registered
244 Posts
While I own an ’01 Bonnie, I’d go for the Thruxton, mainly due to its alloy rims and rearsets. Putting alloys on my Bonnie totaled about $1,000 and has been one of the better mods to the bike. Also, I prefer a rearward foot position and ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, but I’d like it back even further than the conventional pegs allow. Although I enjoy the clip-ons of my ’95 Speed Triple, I’d probably swap for conventional bars on the Thrux.

Zan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much guys,

Yes, I have already enrolled for the MSF course in early december, so I am pretty serious about riding safely.

So it looks like I pretty much cannot go wrong with either a thrux or a bonnie ... now I just need to find a good deal :).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sorry Bella is completely wrong here. The fact is - me included - many people buy a bonnie then thruxtonise it at some expense as they realise the limitations of the bonnie. They tend to fit rearsets, and single seats, then adjust the suspension and tweak the perfomance with tuning and silencers.

Then they buy a Thruxton as I have after changing the bike to be more sporty and more comfortable. Very few do the reverse.

If you want the more laid back ride and style of a bonnie, then you should go for that bike, as it is great and the lines and colours are fantastic too.

The engines are now all pretty much the same. The '09 Thrux bars meet the needs of older riders that do not like the drop bars (such as me). They have completely transformed the Thrux. Gives you a more forward, pronounced position with the comfort of rearsets.

Problem with bonnie gear and brake position is that when you come to a stop it gets in the way of your foot when you want to put it down. That is not safe.

The thrux is easier to point and shoot given the sharper steering angle.

But as the experience of the ride is in your head - you need to try both before deciding. They are quite different bikes, even although the new Thrux bars narrow the difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As soon as I saw the new 2009 Thruxton I was convinced that it was my next bike. I test drove the previous Thruxtons with clip-on bars. They were too low for me so I was considering a Bonnie and modify it. The new Thrux has upgraged parts as stated above and I love the riding position (sporty but not punishing) I'm 56 and wasn't enjoying my Ninja as much as I used to. So I pulled the trigger and picked up a new 2009 Thruxton 2 weeks ago. It is even better than I had hoped for. Another reason for choosing the Thrux is the 2 1/2 inch shorter wheel base which makes it more responsive in the twisties.

My two cents.

Happy Trails,
Steve(Riding the Tail of the Gator in Florida - 11 curves in 318 miles)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could get a 2008 thrux locally [used] with some less than 2k miles on it - with bar end mirrors/fly screen/ai removal kit - in 6500-6750$, would that be a good deal ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I could get a 2008 thrux locally [used] with some less than 2k miles on it - with bar end mirrors/fly screen/ai removal kit - in 6500-6750$, would that be a good deal ?
Is that out the door? Keep in mind the economy is in the tubes and nobody is spending any money so you got the upper hand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts