Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed out the pipes, took out the airbox and had my bike jetted, tuned and dyno'd. Now I am finding that suprisingly with a warm/hot bike, she dies if she idles too long at a light.

There is no warning, no sputtering ... she just quickly dies. I can start her back up every time and ride her. She sounds just fine while in motion and at a stop. The only thing that I think I may hear/see is an occasional gulp or hic up of air but it is so brief and quick I can't tell if it is really happening or I am just thinking I hear it.

Any thoughts? Everyone was so crazy helpful with my other issue, your help and direction is greatly appreciated!

-Bonnegurl

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds like the old Keihin cough is what you're hearing. Do you know what your pipe/carb jet setup is? They may have shafted you on the "rejet," and just turned out stock the pilot screws a bit without changing the main/pilot jets. Happened to me, the 1st, and last time the dealer "re-jetted" my bike. With an airbox removal and open pipes you should be in the 135-142 range on the main jets. Probably 42's on the pilots with a turn or two out. I'm at sea level with open pipes. 142-42 2 turns out. Light popping on decel. Runs like a champ!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have TPUSA Dominator Sport pipes. Not sure what size the guys put in for me but I think for some odd reason they modeled after BC Predators. Hmmm.....I'll see if I can find the ppwk on the jet size. Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have TPUSA Dominator Sport pipes. Not sure what size the guys put in for me but I think for some odd reason they modeled after BC Predators. Hmmm.....I'll see if I can find the ppwk on the jet size. Thanks!
Those pipes should have come with jets. If they installed the supplied jets, I would have them check the pilot screws for you, and make sure that you're idle is set correctly. Good luck.

J

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
had similar problem .found i was much to rich at idle.I've now got pilot(40) screws in to 1.5 turns and 140 mains.I'm at sea level give or take a couple of meters.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
had similar problem .found i was much to rich at idle.
I think this is your problem as well. The plugs are fouling. If you could pull one right after it stalls, you could confirm it. You can temporarily get around the problem by revving the engine at lights and not letting it idle.

I'd take the bike back to those hacks and give them a good talking to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
same

hey, I had the same problem. Just quit at the lights. I synced the carbs(very easy to do) and raised my idle a little. Hasn't died on me since.

·
Registered
420 Posts
hey, I had the same problem. Just quit at the lights. I synced the carbs(very easy to do) and raised my idle a little. Hasn't died on me since.
Your bike was just suckin' in all that Amelia sea salt! :) We don't have those problems down
here in Jax. Hey, do a burnout on the Ritz lawn for me! ;) I lost my soul playing gigs at that place...

·
Registered
73 Posts
JAXTRIUMPHGUY: Your bike was just suckin' in all that Amelia sea salt! We don't have those problems down
here in Jax. Hey, do a burnout on the Ritz lawn for me! I lost my soul playing gigs at that place...

Ha-Ha There is a lot of salt in the air though. I bet you didn't lose your soul at the Ritz, but more like they took it and sold it for whatever it's worth. That's a big will do though :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys! I wrote Triumph Performance (tpusa) and asked them too and they said they sent the jets and pilots, have the guys install them. Checked my paperwork and it doesn't note what sizes all were tuned to...I'll call the guys tomorrow and see what they say and hopefully take my bike in for them to see the stall in person.

Really appreciate the input!
Bonnegurl

·
Registered
50 Posts
Upping the idle a little fixed my stalling at lights too. I too was taken by surprise by the occasional stalling. I have the TPUSA Dominator setup with the 145/42 jets (2 turns out).

-pb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so today I went to the mechanics and they said no prob we'll have you on the road in two minutes. They informed me that they installed 42/140. When they pulled the plugs they looked awful! He said he thought it was running lean...but then also admitted that one of the plugs had been loose and that could account for the discoloring/fouling. The other plug looked just as bad or worse.

There were no new plugs to be had so he cleaned up the ones he pulled and then checked the turns....one was at 1.5 while the other was at 3.5 turns. It seemed he thought he had figured it out, took it for a test run, and declared sucess.

I smiled, shook hands...and rode away, only to stall coasting into a light with the new, matching 2.5 turns.

TPUSA says they sent 145 jets but my mech says nothing was in the box.....hmmmm ..... any additional thoughts?
Bonnegurl

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
That is one of the reasons that I prefer to do my own work. If you are not comfortable doing the wrenching then I suggest finding someone else who you trust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that. Everyone has already done a great job confirming my suspisions. Doesn't sound like it's anything to fret about. I am confident I can work with the guys to get the right settings for the Seattle area and my bike and pipe combo. Thanks!

·
30,173 Posts
Are the mechanics you are working with the actual Triumph dealer? If so, I would be a little cautious just on the lack of availability of spark plugs. I mean - even if their not a Triumph dealer those plugs are not that unusual.

Sounds iffy to me, I think you should consider sourcing an alternative wrencher, just in case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Prop,

No, not the dealer. The dealer is a 30-40 min ride away and while I love the guys, I have seen really good and really bad quality out of the shop.

The guys I went to are 15 min away, cool, small shop full of wrenchers who love bikes and love what they do. They usually revive really sweet old Hondas and cafe them out so to work on my newer Thrux was a real treat for them. They'll stand by their work and make it right but there may be a learning curve for both of us. For some reason they thought I had BC Preditors so they spent a bunch of time on the phone to BC trying to ensure they set everything up just so...but alas, I have scrumptious Dominators.

Oh well....I get it right....eventually.
Thanks!
Bonnegurl

1 - 20 of 25 Posts