Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike in April 2012. The first time this happened, I was riding through Benedict Canyon in Los Angeles. I thought it was just the slight forward tilt we get on the bike. In this instance I really do believe it was my hand positioning and the dynamics of the turn.

However, one morning on the way to work, I accelerated to pass a car on Ventura Blvd. I was in 3 gear. As I approached a red light where I needed to turn, I started to back off the throttle and I was accelerating. I started to brake and realized I would crash at this speed. I did not need to go to the kill switch because eventually the throttle play released. However, this was a wake up call.

Since then I have had no problems. What would be some good suggestions with respect to this potential problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Take it to the dealer immediately as that is for sure a warranty issue. Did you adjust the throttle free play at all?
Be extra careful if you do ride it and I would recommend trailering it there if you can. Also, in the event that happens again, pulling the clutch and braking are your best bets. You may sit there and bounce the rev limiter, but its better than crashing. And that way you have the engine disconnected from the wheel.

If space allows, pull the clutch, hit the kill switch, and coast to the side of the road.

Hope you get it worked out quickly and glad you are OK.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting. Shortly after getting my bike in May I had a similar incident, though not quite as hair raising. Thought maybe I had miss-positioned my throttle hand or something. Haven't had it happen again, but filed it away in the back of my mind.

BTW, I always ride with the clutch and brake covered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apologize I should have posted this in the Street Triple R Forum. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the same issue with my Thruxton. I only had about 700 miles on it when it happened. I could take my hand completely off the throttle and keep on cruising. I parked it and made an appointment at the dealer a couple of days later. By the time I got to take it down to the dealer, the problem went away and haven't had a problem with it since.

·
Registered
909 Posts
if you're throttle sticks...even once, you've got to check everything..grip, throttle housing....cable play/slack...adjustment at the idle..all of it.
OVER AND OVER until you're happy. I wouldn't throw a leg over it without finding out what caused the throttle to stick.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
if you're throttle sticks...even once, you've got to check everything..grip, throttle housing....cable play/slack...adjustment at the idle..all of it.
OVER AND OVER until you're happy. I wouldn't throw a leg over it without finding out what caused the throttle to stick.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The handlebar grip is rubbing against the housing thus causing the sticking throttle. Pull the rubber grip back away from the cable housing and twist and release to confirm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts