Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to you all out there,I ave just had my new street triple r deliverd last night :D I just manage 18 miles on the clock today
Ive set the throttle with no free play so its straight off I always preffer them this way especialy with this bike being so rasby
stops that on and off blundering could any one give me ther thoughts or experience on this thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello Mr. H. and congrats.

My dealer tells me that Triumph maintains that a "small" amount of play should be left in the T-cable so as to guard against unintentional revving should the handle bars be pushed to their extreme turn limits.

Sorry, but I have f/gotten what the amount of minimum suggested play is but you may want to check w/ your dealer or maybe one of the other guys here can provide some guidance.

btw - you're gonna love your new mistress...

·
Registered
582 Posts
The manual says "0.08-0.12 (2-3mm) free play.

Having said that, I can't stand play. So I've got mine set to no slack. And it came from the dealer with horrible play.

If you do so, it's a good idea to start the bike after adjustding and go full left to full right on the steering to see if you're causing the cable to pull (the engine RPMS will rise). After I adjusted mine, after a full day riding, some slack had worked back into it so I re-adjusted it and it's stayed that way for over 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hiya!
Is the lack of play on the T-cabel the reason that the revs are so variable as you go over horrible street obstacles - slow-down bumps, or worse, down into b----y big holes from the winter weather? I ask 'coz it seems to me much harder to keep the revs steady in the aforesaid circumstances, when compared to my old 2-cylinder 650cc Kawa.

Thanks for any input - I get the feeling that I've seen this info on another thread, if so, sorry Diego, I didn't take the time to go and search:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Is the lack of play on the T-cabel the reason that the revs are so variable as you go over horrible street obstacles
No, actually, the general experience has been that Street Triples with excess throttle play are worse about that. It definitely is a sensitive throttle in any case.

There is a trick to working around that business with bumps, though, variously described as keeping your wrists or elbows loose, or mentally uncoupling your hands and forearms from the rest of your torso, so that you don't transmit unwanted throttle input during those road-induced transient motions.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is a trick to working around that business with bumps, though {etc}
That's generally a good idea for any type of riding. Locked wrists, arms and shoulders can lead to all sort of undesirable control inputs.

Zane

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this same problem.
My throttle had way too much free play in it coming home from the dealer, after I adjusted it and the problem went a way.
Staying loose over bumps definently helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.