Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently tried a T120 for a test ride. I liked most every thing about it except for the throttle response. It seem like I had to twist the throttle a good 1/4" or better to get the engine to pick up decent. I mean there was definitely lag in the way the engine responded to the twist grip. If I gave it about 1/2" of throttle then it would pick up normally. Very poor setup and very irritating to drive this way. I have never owned a motorcycle that drove this way. It was like having a ton of backlash in the throttle cable. I know these are ride by wire now. Definitely a deal breaker for me. That and the extra 60 pounds over the Street Twin. I haven't been able to test ride a ST yet but I hope it doesn't respond the same way. Would they be able to flash that out of it? Shouldn't have to with all the time they spent developing these bikes. What are some of your experiences with this?

wbarnier

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have heard others reporting this, but it is pretty few and far between. Did you tell the dealer?
I have the Thruxton and you can not tell at all if there is any lag.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I started out with the T120, and in the confusion of my first start-up, I inadvertently hit the mode button, which is directly below the actual start button, which I thought was the 'kill' switch. Well, unknown to me for the first 10 miles or so after leaving the dealers, I was in 'rain' mode. After noticing the display, I was able to switch back to 'road' mode. Made quite a difference.

Having said all that, I experienced no lag in throttle response, in fact, quite the opposite. Throttle response on my T120 was almost too instantaneous, some might call 'sensitive'. Got used to it quickly though.

Traded the T120 during it's 500 mi service visit - made the mistake of taking the Thruxton for a test ride - Oh My - what an engine! No throttle lag here either. Maybe your ECU needs a tweaking.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Fuel injection from bike to bike has stumped more than one rider. They are all different whether cable or fly by, I suppose when it's your bike you get used to it, like brake feed back.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I recently tried a T120 for a test ride. I liked most every thing about it except for the throttle response. It seem like I had to twist the throttle a good 1/4" or better to get the engine to pick up decent. I mean there was definitely lag in the way the engine responded to the twist grip. If I gave it about 1/2" of throttle then it would pick up normally. Very poor setup and very irritating to drive this way. I have never owned a motorcycle that drove this way. It was like having a ton of backlash in the throttle cable. I know these are ride by wire now. Definitely a deal breaker for me. That and the extra 60 pounds over the Street Twin. I haven't been able to test ride a ST yet but I hope it doesn't respond the same way. Would they be able to flash that out of it? Shouldn't have to with all the time they spent developing these bikes. What are some of your experiences with this?

wbarnier
Obvious reply is to ask if you were in Road or Rain mode, sound very much like Rain mode.

Just done 80 miles today, been fine rain and showers all day, roads slippy and shiny but not a lot of water on the surface so dropped it into Rain mode to be safe, and the throttle response was slower.

Can you get a different T120 and test ride again and check the ride modes? That would help determine if it was that particular bike had a problem

So far very pleased with my T120, traded in a Rocket 3 Touring for it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made sure that it was in road mode to begin with. I even changed it to rain mode and notice no difference at all. You have to have the throttle completely closed when changing modes as the dealer told me. I then changed back to road mode and nothing changed. Yes it did say ROAD in the LCD readout. I hope it was just that bike that was like that. I definitely told the dealer about it also.

wbarnier

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I made sure that it was in road mode to begin with. I even changed it to rain mode and notice no difference at all. You have to have the throttle completely closed when changing modes as the dealer told me. I then changed back to road mode and nothing changed. Yes it did say ROAD in the LCD readout. I hope it was just that bike that was like that. I definitely told the dealer about it also.

wbarnier
OK, thanks.

Do you think you will try another one just to be sure?

·
Registered
77 Posts
So far very pleased with my T120, traded in a Rocket 3 Touring for it.
Apologies if this looks like a thread hijack, but I ride a Rocket 3 (Roadster) that I've only had a short while. It's certainly impressive with its power, but the T120 sounds like a fantastic bike. They're such different machines... I'm wondering how you find the engine characteristics of the T120 after coming from the R3T.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I am definitely going to try out a Street Twin. Will get back to you on it.

wbarnier

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like my T120's throttle response just the way it is. Perfect.

It seems there is either a lot of variation in the setups of the new bikes all around, or, new owners are greatly influenced by their previous rides. My T120 is my third fuel injected Triumph, my fourth Triumph, and my second Bonneville.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No issues with throttle response from my T120 and it does sound like rain mode to me. As a point of reference my last bike was a Honda Hurricane 1000.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi bobsyouruncle

I swapped my 2010 Roadster for the T120. Got 1,300 kms (800 miles) on it so far. The throttle response is good; certainly as good as or better than the Roadster. Obviously not the same top gear roll-on performance at 3000 rpm but overtaking is faster on the T120 - smaller, lighter - in the right gear (using the really slick gearbox). And then there's the twisties; out with a friend who still has Roadster and rode round the outside of him very easily.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Apologies if this looks like a thread hijack, but I ride a Rocket 3 (Roadster) that I've only had a short while. It's certainly impressive with its power, but the T120 sounds like a fantastic bike. They're such different machines... I'm wondering how you find the engine characteristics of the T120 after coming from the R3T.
The T120 is a lot milder especially in the wet, always had a twitchy back end on the Rocket in the rain and on damp roads.

You know you have to be careful winding on the power coming out of bends on the Rocket, and the back brake locks up very quick.

The T120 feels a lot safer on wet roads, I found I was more relaxed and not constantly thinking about not being too heavy on the throttle.

Also the Rocket being big and heavy always had to be lined up on the corners and was difficult to change direction if the corner tighted up or a car came across the white line.

Yesterday in the wet going around a tight left hander and a car came across the white line with mobile phone sat on top of the steering wheel I saw the shock on his face as he looked up, the T120 was a lot quicker to change direction and flick further to the left.

T120 can overtake 3 or 4 cars quickly, acceleration is good, different class than the Rocket obviously.

You have good torque on the 120 and wind on is good, similar to the Rocket but more relaxed and milder not pulling your arms out of their sockets, found it hard to stall if in the wrong gear, especially if the traffic in front slows and then pulls away again, wind on and it bogs down a little and chugs like a single as it increases revs back up to speed.

Had a few tight corners that I approached in third gear, they tightened and would have been better in second gear, the torque made up for it.

It feels tiny, light, and a lot more flickable, Road mode good throttle response, rain mode the response is slower and you need to allow for it, twisted the throttle and let the clutch out too quick once and stalled it, so need to be a little slower with the clutch in rain mode, but after a while it comes naturally.

Found the Street Twin too under powered and it seemed smaller? Also the Street Twin pedals are about an in or inch and half further back and felt odd to me after forward footboards.

Yesterday did another 80 miles, drizzly rain and slippery roads, actually felt safer than when doing this on the Rocket.

On the wrong side of 60 now and the Rocket was causing a few aches and pains in arms and bottom of the back, needed something lighter but still a reasonable performance, spend most of the time on small country roads hardly use motorways so the T120 ticked all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
No problems at all with the throttle response on my T120. At first it seemed too sensitive, but either I learned, or the throttle is adaptive. I'm not sure which. It might be a combination of the two.

The throttle also seems more sensitive right after the first engine start of the day. Rain mode seems to dampen this down nicely. After the engine warms up, I switch to road mode and stay there for the rest of the day.

I wonder whether extensive use of the rain mode would extend the life of the chain, drive sprockets, and rear tire since you're clearly getting less torque to the rear wheel?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Otherwise, at the low end of the gears, I find it somewhat overly sensitive, with a slight tendency to switch power "on/off".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my Thruxton R. I changed out the stock grips. When testing out the new grips, with the engine off, I noticed that there is about a 1/4 of play on the throttle. The grip sits on a sleeve and the sleeve has a head that fits in the cluster. This is how the ride by wire works. When you twist the throttle grip slowly, you can feel a bit a play before it engages. Try it on your bike and see what I mean. I didn't like it at first, but I got used to it after a while.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts