Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I tried adjusting my throttle cables (2) on a 73 Bonne as they became bound in the throttle mechanism on the handlebar, I loosened them up, greased inside the mechanism, but now when I rev the bike, it is idling around 1500rpm and when I rev the throttle it seems like it revs for a little but I can't "wind it up" like before, almost like I have a governor on the bike, any ideas?

Also, this may seem stupid, but is there a trick or method to getting a bonne up on the center stand without breaking my back?

Thanks,

Jan

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Open up your housing and make sure both cable ends are in their appropriate sockets on the twist handle.
To get the bike up on the centerstand, put all your weight on the center stand lever with your right foot (just use your left foot to maintain your balance) and pull back on the left handle bar with your left hand while lifting up with your right hand grasping the frame under the seat. It should roll right up in the stand if the stand hasn't been bent and is the correct stand. If your bike has a 16 inch rear wheel, all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems like the cables are stretched

The cables are seated correctly in the throttle, when I first twist the handlebar grip, it gives throttle, then seems to not pull anymore at a point, then the throttle (grip) seems to bind as I maybe moved it to far?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Are you sure that it's not a cable that's binding? Take them out of the twistgrip and pull each one separately by hand.

Just a thought from the mindless vacuum of the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
up on the center stand

I've found the best way to get the bike up on the center stand is to hold where jimmy bush says - left hand on handlebar, right hand under the seat.

The trick, though, is in building momentum. After getting in the proper position, I rock myself a few times first, kind of a bob, bob, stomp/lift motion. Doesn't take much effort if you get your body going that direction. If you just try to stomp the stand while lifting under the seat you don't get the advantage of using your body weight. You should have seen me when I first got this bike. Talk about doing something that makes ya feel like a wimp... :)

Hope that helps.

Oh, and make sure you're left foot isn't in a puddle of tranny fluid or anything - that would be bad. And get the kickstand up. Don't rely on it as a backup - it'll just get in the way (but you probably knew that).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts