Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with the throttle position sensor? My ’05 has recently had this problem. I’ve been to the dealer twice with no luck.

The symptom is when you crack the throttle hard in any gear; you get a severe hesitation and a miss. If you roll back on the throttle, the issue goes away. A fault code is also thrown (low or no voltage code).

Unfortunately, it gets worse. On the second time to the dealer, the tech checked the connection, cleaned it, made sure the correct voltage was being delivered to the throttle sensor, cleared the code and away I went. Cruising down the superslab at 75, the bike would not idle down and proceeded to run at 3k rpm….not good.

On a third call to the dealer, they stated that their shop had replaced 4 sensors over the past few months and that Triumph is aware of the problem. He suggested holding off on bringing it in due to the fact that any replacement parts they put in the bike will result in the same problem until Triumph fixes the component.

It’s getting pretty cold here and I’ll hold off for a short time until an available fix can be done. Has anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
855 Posts
The TPS does sound like the problem. Generally it causes problems at idle however your same isse is described here:

Finally got my primary throttle position sensor replaced today, and that was definitely the culprit. Bike runs great now!

As desecribed before, the main symptoms were an apparent " very flat" spot at about 2000 RPM accomanied by a surging idle, and basically surging throttle and cough on up to about 2500 RPM. Above 2500 RPM, the bike ran great. So, as long as I stayed above 70 MPH, everything was fine!.. lol Nothing wrong with that!

Right now, I have removed my PC-III and am running Triumph's TOR tune, which seems to be working very well, and I'm pretty pleased.
Why not have them go ahead and replace it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would but...

The dealer has told me that 2 of the 4 he has replaced have come back with the same issue.
At this point, what could it hurt...right?

·
Registered
236 Posts
They fixed mine this spring at 14k miles and I now have 18k haven't had any issues yet. I can tell you that when mine stuck at 3 thousand I was going into a tight corrner and I sure had to think fast to save the day. I would get it fixed, Triumph payed for the repairs so why take a chance of ending up in a ditch.

2005 R3 Trapper

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine Too...

Looks like mine has the same problem...Got on here hoping that someone could shed some light on the subject...I spoke to my dealer this morning and apparently they have had a few do the same thing..He tells me that they can check the computer and it can be one of two problems..Either the Throttle Position Sensor (which really only supplies the right amount of voltage) or what they call the Stepper Motor...I am taking mine in this week so i will keep you informed on what they come up with... I am just out of warranty but i am going to try and hit Triumph up for this..I mean this is dangerous..I pity TRAPPER..Going into a tight corner at three grand and having the throttle stick ? :eek:Not a nice feeling at all..:mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
TPS? Me too...

I'm having trouble with the idle on my Rocket. The dealer has replaced the TPS once, and the bike ran great for a day, and then the problem reared it's ugly (and quite scary) head again. The issue is that the idle will suddenly rise to about 2300 RPM with no warning whatsoever.
He told me Triumph is aware of the issue and are working to resolve, and they have had several issues reported to them at their dealership. About half have been resolved with a new TPS, the other half, like me, are still waiting because the replacement didn't solve the problem.
The worst part is that you never know when it's going to happen. Once it starts doing it, it usually stays at the high idle. Shutting the bike off and restarting sometimes resolves it, but only temporarily.
It is particularly scary when you aren't expecting it and are downshifting to a stop... you hit first gear and all is well, and then suddenly it's like someone grabs the throttle and gives it a twist, and then there you sit with the engine running at 2300 and nothing you can do about it.
I've had a couple of close calls, but presently the bike sits in my garage until a definite solution is arrived upon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ainge 64

I would talk to your dealer and have him call Triumph, I know that it took mine in several times B/4 it was fixed and they did make a lot of calls to Triumph to ask what others had tried that worked. I don't know what they had to do besides replacement of the TPS but I think that advise had to help them make the final fix. Don't give up it can be fixed. You might also check out the forum there are several posts about this problem . There is a lot of info out there.

Trapper

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TPS Recall

I contacted my dealer yesterday to chat about my issues with the TPS.
He has told me that Triumph has issued a recall and that he would replace my TPS with a new one at no cost to me.
I have an '05 with 30k on it...so I'm liking the fact that Triumph has recognized the problem and is taking the appropriate actions.

Good luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
T.p.s.

Gooday guys..
Had my Rocket back to the dealer three times to have the T.P.S. reset..Every time after a couple of days it would go back to normal..So the lad at the dealer sent a fax to Triumph Australia and let them know about the throttle locking on and they replaced it under " Goodwill " which i thought was awsome considering it was four months out of warranty :) I mean it is a safety issue but they still didnt have to do it..So to Triumph Australia and Peter Stevens Motorcycles thanks for restoring my faith..Runs like it did when i first bought it now..Good luck guys and hope your dealer looks after you the same way mine did...
As far as i know there is NO RECALL on this problem..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts