Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new Norman Hyde M-style bars on my 07 bonnie black. The throttle is now locked open. I'm not sure how to describe it but the grip is closed it's just like the choke is constantly pulled out and I can't get the RPM's down... it's revving very fast like the throttle is wide open... please help!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Nipple

Did you drill the little hole for the throtle body housing. There's a little nipple on the inside so the housing never tures even if it loosens off. Check you old bars.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Don't know about drilling anything, but it sounds as though something is binding. Loosen the screws holding the throttle body clamps to the bar, maybe slide it off and check it all out. Most take the throttle unit off the stock bar in tact and then simply slide it on to the M bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out after installing the new bars and started up the bike. the engine started revving like the throttle was pinned... I actually think it is something with the ends of the cables not at the controls... i am going to take the tank off tomorrow and see if i can't figure it out but i'm just a tinkerer not a mechanic...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
RadRobbe - I had a thought after looking at mine. Could the throttle body not be slid on to the bar sufficiently, so that it is binding on the end cap or mirror mount? There should be a bit of room between whatever you have mounted into the end. Bet that's it 'cause there's not much exposed in the body itself.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Try loosening off the cables at the throttle ( using the lock nuts and adjusters, 1 cable opens the throttle the other closes ) then retension them so you have abbout 1.5-2mm of side play at the carbs. When fitting lower bars you force the cables into a very tight arc which can cause them to bind. If you cant get sufficant play in the cables you may have to re-route them to get rid of the kink.
;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I installed new Norman Hyde M-style bars on my 07 bonnie black. The throttle is now locked open. I'm not sure how to describe it but the grip is closed it's just like the choke is constantly pulled out and I can't get the RPM's down... it's revving very fast like the throttle is wide open... please help!
Does the throttle move back and forth freely?

I had a similar problem when I did mine. The cause was the throttle body/grip jammed up against the assembly with the cutoff switch/brake. I loosened the screws on the assembly and checked to make sure the throttle was moving freely, then tightened it again while checking that the throttle continued to move freely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1

+1 what DavidC said. Did you put bar end mirrors on? If you did, the control is too close to the bar end. Just loosen it up and move it a smidgen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
checked everything out... i even had the tank off and checked the cable route... there is play and the throttle is closed at the carb end... this shouldn't be too hard of a problem to fix but it is proving very difficult... i'm totally lost...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
stuck throttle

Where do you live dude, maybe one of us is close to you and can help in person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
let's see

checked everything out... i even had the tank off and checked the cable route... there is play and the throttle is closed at the carb end... this shouldn't be too hard of a problem to fix but it is proving very difficult... i'm totally lost...
If the thottle is closed and there is play on the cable the choke is causing the bike to be accelerate.
but, what sounds like to me is, if the only thing you did was changing the handle bar, the accelerator cable is too short for the new bar. one thing you should do is disconnect the cable completely and start the bike is it raming?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Puzzling - must be something simple. I have put on and taken off an M bar five times and had no problem. I'd slide the throttle assembly off - but leave the bar in place, and work it while holding it in my hand - see if it opens and closes. I'd even start the bike and do the same. If binding while off the bike, I'd continue by removing the cables one at a time, etc. There is just not much that can cause this. Dig and delve, my friend. Triumph over the Triumph, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
When you removed the twistgrip did you break it down and remove the cables? Maybe you put the twistgrip on upside down or got the cables bass ackwards?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Did you fix this problem

Try loosening off the cables at the throttle ( using the lock nuts and adjusters, 1 cable opens the throttle the other closes ) then retension them so you have abbout 1.5-2mm of side play at the carbs. When fitting lower bars you force the cables into a very tight arc which can cause them to bind. If you cant get sufficant play in the cables you may have to re-route them to get rid of the kink.
Did you fix this problem Radbobb?? If so what was your solution?!?! I suspect Amanger might be correct. I've recently installed drag bars with 1" risers instead of the stock bars and have had the same problem. Throttle seems like choke is full on. I've made sure the throttle is in from the bar-end about 2-3mm so there is play but the engine's revving at about 3k+.
After seeing Amanger's advice, I'm wondering if the arc of the throttle is too tight and causing it to bind on.

Cheers and Thanks
Brendan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts