Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With spring in the air, the time has come to assemble a "wish list" of improvements for my bike and rides that I want to take.

With many of the rides looking like they are going to end up in the 600-2000 mile range, the accessory that rose to the top of my list is a cruise control device.

Surely there are plenty of opinions out there, so I'd like to hear some of them on the following products or others that you've used:

Throttlemeister - bar-end style leads me to believe that it won't be easy to enable.

Brakeaway - seems like a great design, but I'm curious about it's impact on grip "real estate". Also, at almost 2x the cost of the Throttlemeister, is it worth it? I like the prospect of the button controls.

What do you use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The Brake Away can be mounted with minimal impact on grip real estate.

This is my install on 06 Triumph heated grips.

To do this I cut the outer ring off the rubber flange. The throttle lock takes it's place. With the heated grips you find the cut line by folding the flange back over itself. I don't know about the standard grips.
Here is a photo of the inner mounting ring for the Brake Away. I mounted it with Locktite Black Max and tied it until cured.

I like this device by the way. The Delrin lock mechanism is smooth enough that fine adjustments are possible after it is locked.
This is P/N 6CB03-05 as mentioned in the link above.
I suppose it could still be improved with a speed sensor, keypad and servo drive...

[ This message was edited by: CLB on 2007-03-08 19:02 ]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Dude, that is beautiful!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Even with that slick install, I'd still take my TM over Breakaway any day. It's really not that hard to work. You set it up to just put some drag on the throttle, not lock it solid. Then learn how to hold steady throttle with your index finger and thumb. Curl your pinky around the TM, and turn the TM that fraction of a rotation to put the drag on. I say drag not lock because then you can make incrimental changes due to uphills, and downhills, without completly resetting it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The main argument I have against the Brake Away is $$$cost. Each has to make that judgement for themselves. The Brake Away does allow easy adjustment when locked.

That said, I did consider the TM and likely would have gone that route but I had already given that space to Barender helmet locks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not to mention the new TM milled bar ends look really sweet :-D

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've used the TM for 3 years now and enjoy it tremendously. Of course it does have its drrawbacks. For example; it does take a little gettin use to when setting the lock. You must use the outside portion of your palm while maintaining speed with the fingers...can be a bit tricky. Nevertheless, I've gotten use to it and don't think anything of it anymore.
Like all mechanical cruise controls, it does not maintain constant speed while ascending or descending grades.

On the upside, it is extremely clean looking and it provides an unsticky motion when needing to micro manage the throttle when set.

From the looks of it, the brake-away looks like a thumb controlled unit, which would make it easy to set. But I've not used it to comment further.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sh#t guys, sure looks great. Fantastic piece of engineering. Wasted on me as I am never on a steady throttle long enough. Lots of lovely twisties around here, and I use one of these for long journeys

Cost $10.95 US

Kev :-D

[ This message was edited by: Thefallenone on 2007-03-09 11:16 ]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hello folks..

I've got a TM on mine and agree that they take a bit of getting used to - when you do they are great..

While on the topic is there any sort of electronic cruise control available for 99-04 ST's ?? ah la BMW k1200 type. Mate has one and I've tried it, just like a car one - set the speed and it self adjusts.. Much easier / cleaner - but of course, woud be MUCH more expensive..

My 2 bob worth....

·
Registered
40 Posts
TM on mine...works great. I got the Black
krinkle finish model. I think it makes it easier to operate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually found by accident that the little rubber sleeves that are installed with the $12.00 throttle rockers make a quite effective cruise control.

If you install these little sleeves(that are to prevent slip of the throttle rockers) so that they overlap into the space between the grip and the bar end, it provides just enough resistance to lock the throttle where set while providing almost nuetral resistance when closing the throttle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
First of all yes I know you guys will call me the cheap hillbilly that I am but someone on the RAT used a 1/4 inch or so rubber O ring. He just put it between the bar end and the throttle. Said it works great he just had to find a O ring that was the right size to create the correct amount of tension. And of course the hillbilly on off switch - he used his pinky to roll it in and out of the gap.

[ This message was edited by: stwanted on 2007-03-10 17:17 ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts