Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Triumph doesn't sell a throttle lock/cruise control option for the T-bird, but I was wondering if anyone had done so. I have a fairly long commute on the highway and I'd like to be able to help more easily maintain my speed.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am just using a rubber o-ring between the flange of the throttle grip and the switch housing. Just enough friction to hold it, but not so much you can't easily rotate the throttle. Cheap and effective, very simple. You just have to remember to roll the throttle off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just using a rubber o-ring between the flange of the throttle grip and the switch housing. Just enough friction to hold it, but not so much you can't easily rotate the throttle. Cheap and effective, very simple. You just have to remember to roll the throttle off.
Ooh, I don't like that idea so much. I could see a lot of reasons why that'd be a much greater risk than a cruise control you can turn on or off. Like in city driving.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ooh, I don't like that idea so much. I could see a lot of reasons why that'd be a much greater risk than a cruise control you can turn on or off. Like in city driving.
I suppose it could be problem, but wouldn't you normally roll off the throttle anyway? I wouldn't just let go when I want to slow down. And it lessens the jerkiness on the throttle caused by the poor roads in my area.
And you can just roll the o-ring off of the grip flange with your thumb when you don't need it.
A built in electronic cruise control would have been a really nice option.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do tend to roll off the throttle but I don't PUSH it the same way I PULL it to roll on the throttle. I tend to use the spring's own pull and count on it to make sure I'm completely off the throttle.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
There are several bar-end throttle locks on the market. They're pretty universal.

I don't like the O-ring idea either; I had a sticky throttle cable once that required me to twist my throttle off as well as on, and I didn't like it at all. There are a lot of occasions when I let my throttle snap shut.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am thinking about getting the Kuryakyn end-bar throttle locks. Haven't bitten the bullet yet, but I am thinking about it. A vista cruise unit just doesn't have the appeal to me. I have one on my Intruder, and it works, but esthetically it just wouldn't be right on the T-Bird...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Like it or not, this is the cheapest and easiest cruise control I've ever had. A rubber spacer is used to "shelf" the o-ring when not in use. It rolls into place with your pinky and dosn't impeed the throttle movement when you choose to back off a bit. Its no more dangerous then any other non-electric Cruise Control.

I used a rubber gas tank bumper off a old BMW F650 as the shelf and the oil dip stick o-ring off the same bike. 60 second install!

Cruise Off:

Cruise ON:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just purchased one from Throttlemeister. There website says a model for the 2010 TB is not yet available, but when I called they told me that the model for the 2004-2008 Rocket woulld fit. I ordered it and when installing found that the 5M bolts that come with the bike are not long enough! I managed by going to my local hardware store and purcheased them (60mm length)

here's the link
http://www.throttlemeister.com

Hope this helps

·
Registered
356 Posts
I tried to fit the Kuryakyn lock onto the Bird.... no dice... it looks like if you were to replace the OEM grips with Kuryakyns, they might work, but first you have to get that end piece out of the end of the bars, and I just wasn't willing to mess with that.

I think I will go the Throttlemeister route and see how that works out for me.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Anybody find one that works with heated grips?

I tried the Manic Salamander bar end weights with a throttle lock, but couldn't get the throttle lock to work. Adjustment is by adding and subtracting washers, but even at one thin washer away from "always locked," the lock couldn't hold the throttle. It may be because I have the Triumph heated grips.

Anyone found something that works with the heated grips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Tlvrider are you still using your throttlemeister and happy with it? Wells did you in fact get one and how do you like it? I was riding with some Kawasaki guys yesterday with the breakaway and it looks real nice but looks like you need the Kuryakyn grips and I'm not ready to go that route either. Their chart still says unavailable for the TBird, but if the Rocket III ones fit then I am ready to make a purchase. Please weigh in when you get a chance...thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a kaoko throttle lock fitted and it works great. Hardly visible and takes a few minutes to fit.
silverfish

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tlvrider are you still using your throttlemeister and happy with it? Wells did you in fact get one and how do you like it? I was riding with some Kawasaki guys yesterday with the breakaway and it looks real nice but looks like you need the Kuryakyn grips and I'm not ready to go that route either. Their chart still says unavailable for the TBird, but if the Rocket III ones fit then I am ready to make a purchase. Please weigh in when you get a chance...thanks!
I never got around to it. I am starting to think about it again as long distance riding season is coming around, though...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have the Throttle Meister on mine, It's for the Rocket 3 but it fits with longer bolts. It works good for what it is ( throttle lock not cruise control ) Hilly terrain and wind does affect your speed but it's nice to have on the flats. I would not advise using it on group rides unless you have plenty of space.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts