Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 T140E, US model, high handlebars. My throttle cable snapped from the twist grip. Having a cell phone makes breakdowns so much easier to deal with! Anyway, I have a new cable from the twist grip to the junction box. Do I have to disconnect all three throttle cables? Or can I just disconnect the one the one that broke? If so, how do you take it out of the junction box?
Thanks,

·
7,214 Posts
Hi,
1979 T140E, US model, high handlebars. My throttle cable snapped from the twist grip
have a new cable from the twist grip to the junction box.
Before dismantling the junction box, ensure the twistgrip nipple on your new throttle cable fits correctly and well in the twistgrip drum and rotates easily in the twistgrip drum. Those have been two regular problems with new throttle cables for years.

Do I have to disconnect all three throttle cables? Or can I just disconnect the one the one that broke? If so, how do you take it out of the junction box?
Assuming you have the standard junction box, you shouldn't have to disconnect all three throttle cables.

Standard junction box unscrews to two outer parts and an inner. Having unscrewed the junction box outer, each cable is in a slot in the junction box inner, a nipple on the end of each cable inner keeps it in the junction box inner.

If so, if you push any cable inner into the junction box inner, the nipple should become visible; when the nipple's clear of the junction box inner, lift the cable inner out of the junction box inner.

Then, as manuals often say, "Reassembly is the reverse of dismantling" ...

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
In addition to Stuarts advice - if you pull the outer cable of the broken section completely clear you will be left with just the inner cable still connected to the junction box - if you then unscrew the junction box you will have to pull on the inner cable to draw the inner junction block clear of the junction box ( it will only just clear the box)- you will then see how the 3 nipples locate in the block - you then need to hold the block to stop it going back into the box ( the springs inside the carbs will be pulling) - you can push the block slightly sideways so it sits on the edge of the box to stop it going back into the box - push the nipple on the broken cable inwards towards the box and slip it sideways to release it -- it can be a bit fiddly but makes sense once you get started

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks StuartMac and wol for your help. I'm just wondering if I have a standard junction box. I've tried to release the nipple with no luck. Thanks for the advise on the twist grip nipple to see if it fits the twist grip drum. Now, I'll start there. Also, my daughter was assisting me with these photos. No, I don't wear nail polish.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I would suggest removing the carb tops and dis-assembling the cables from the throttle slides, otherwise you will be struggling against the carbs return springs while trying to hold the junction box and fit the new cable, and you could end up saying lots of rude words... sort out the cables and junction box, then re-connect the carb slides and springs. And that junction box is the correct part.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
As daveforty says - that looks like an original junction box -- the cable can be tight in the block - you need to pull the block clear of the junction box - you need to be able to see the whole block free out of the junction box -- then push the old inner cable towards the junction box - if necessary grip the inner cable with some pliers about 1/4 inch from the block and push while holding the block - it should come free -- have the new cable end ready to slip into place having fed it through the other part of the junction box- if you remove the old cable but then let the block slip back into the junction box then you will have to get into the carbs to disconnect the other cables / release the spring pressure

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have found in my experience that you have disassemble the carb tops to get enough slack on the lower cables to be able to get the inner cable block out of the junction block to be able to replace the upper cable.

Rob

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, thanks for helping me with the throttle cable on my T140E. Your earlier advice about a second pair of arms really hit home after I was trying to keep the throttle spring out of the way. After resting my thumps a bit, I thought about this tool that helps with aligning the chain from Motion Pro. I took the metal rod off and stuffed the spring and mixing chamber top into the gap so it would be out of the way. Then, I proceeded to put the cable, needle retaining disc and needle clip in their perspective places.

Thanks again for your help.
---John Wrenn

It helps replacing the cable greatly if you can manage to grow a second pair of arms.
IMG-1422.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts