Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had broken my throttle cable when installing new grips. Definitely a dumbass move, but I have had the carbs on and off a bunch of times, so not a huge problem. Unfortunately, I could not get a replacement before a two week trip, so my buddy Mufasa let me steal the one off his Legend for the trip. So far, so good...

Now, upon arriving home, here is the box from Triumph with the new throttle cable, which I am ready to install on Mufasa's bike (yes, he gets the new cable and I keep the old one on my bike, but before you say how noble this is, consider this: would you rather replace the cable on one bike, or two? So much for nobility!)

Anyways, Triumph has decided to cut the cost of manufacturing the new cable, so instead of having the threaded end which goes to the carb free to turn, it is now press molded to the cable sheath. That creates a real big problem, as the design at that end prevents the turning of the bottom nut, as it sits in a cutout to keep it from turning. With the old design, you got the nut started, and then turned the threaded end of the cable with a wrench, as it spun freely on a small metal tit at the end of the sheath. Now you must turn the entire cable sheath itself to thread that nut, and getting the safety clip on while doing this is just about impossible. I have been at it for 45 minutes, and decided to take a break and vent my frustrations here online and have a cold one. Honestly, I may forget the clip entirely, and just use loctite on the threads. As for adjusting the cable at the carb end, you can forget about that with this new design, unless you remove the cable bracket and grind off the nut keeper. What a stupid cost savings; someone in accounting forgot to check with the engineering boys before saving the 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I discovered the clip could be shoved into place from the side with some careful pushing, but that still means pulling it back off and turning the entire cable assembly to adjust at the carb end. My buddy stopped to give me some extra hands, and we got it done. He had a great idea, which was to hook up the grip end and test the freeplay before installing the carbs on the bike. This was after I had installed them once only to find the freeplay needed adjusting. We got the freeplay adjusted, and then installed the carbs just fine.
Denny - I can see where a missing clip wouldn't be a big deal, as the cable sheath assembly really has nowhere else to move when the cable is adjusted correctly. There just isn't room for it to come out of the bracket from what I can see. On my older Honda Civics with carbs, they always had just one nut on each side of the bracket at the carb end, and no safety clip.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have to replace mine - I broke the plastic (plastic... really???) guide piece while swapping MY grips - this is good to know about the clip. Note: I'm not planning on taking my carb rack off - instead I plan to do it while I have the tank off to replace my Gill coils. Looking at photos, it looks like I should be able to reach the mounting point with the tank off and the rack still mounted - yes? no?

Thanks!

-Matt

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
You should be able to replace the cable without taking the carbs off or the tank although it is a real bugger.
You'll need the clip but you can do without the bottom nut.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should be able to replace the cable without taking the carbs off or the tank although it is a real bugger.
You'll need the clip but you can do without the bottom nut.
Sorry, but it ain't ever gonna happen. As I said in the initial post, the design has changed, and you have to turn the entire cable itself to thread it. Since the carb end still has that curve in it, you could never thread it with the carbs on the bike and the tank in place.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do I need to replace the clip or can I re-use the one that's already there? I ordered one with my cable (cost like $3) but I wasn't sure if it was mandatory.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had called 4 dealers looking for someone who had it on their shelf, as I needed it fast. No one had it in stock, and two told me it only comes in a kit with the clip included. That is how mine did arrive. The old clip will work fine however, as it is spring steel (that is, if you don't over stress it and break it). I think the clip is overkill, but now that I discovered it can be jammed on from the side once the cable is installed, it seemed worth doing. Probably not a big deal though if you omit it, based upon Denny's comments.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a question...

WHERE DOES THE CLIP GO??

I got my carb rack off and the clip fell out while I was removing it so I didn't see it before, and now I'm uncertain we have everything back together right.

I have the cable with a press-fit threaded fitting, TWO nuts and the clip. I remember from the old cable that BOTH nuts sit atop the "u" shaped bracket at the top end of the carb (the bottom one seems like a lock-nut if I'm understanding it right), but I might be misremembering.

Can someone list the assembly order with the clip in the mix? Alternately, it looks from posts here that I can maybe leave it off, but I want to be sure I reconnect all the threaded mounting hardware correctly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Nevermind...

We figured it out, I think... We put the clip between the top and bottom nuts. What was throwing me was that the old cable had basically TWO nut-shaped fasteners on the top end as was stated previously, as well as one underneath. while the new one basically only has one nut above and one below. With one nut above and one below we were able to tighten the threaded head of the cable against the u-shaped bracket snugly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts