Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 2007 Bonneville. This morning I turned the throttle and there was a noise and then it started moving freely and not opening the butterflies in the carb. I suspect it's the cable which has snapped.

I looked on Fortnine.ca where I usually buy my parts but they don't have any cables. Is this something which is only available from a Triumph dealer or are there aftermarket options? It looks like there are 2 cables (push pull), do I need to order both?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
I don't remember if they are available separately, but you might as well replace both while you're in there.

It's a fiddly job, especially reaching in to attach them to the carbs, so plan to take your time. Pay attention to the installation and routing of the cables you're removing, and follow that exactly with the replacement cables. You'll have to spend some time adjusting them and verifying they work properly from steering lock to lock without binding, sticking, or pulling.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember if they are available separately, but you might as well replace both while you're in there.

It's a fiddly job, especially reaching in to attach them to the carbs, so plan to take your time. Pay attention to the installation and routing of the cables you're removing, and follow that exactly with the replacement cables. You'll have to spend some time adjusting them and verifying they work properly from steering lock to lock without binding, sticking, or pulling.
Where did you get the replacement from?

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Before you buy the news ones - verify that the end has just not popped out of the fixture at the carbs. If the cable happen to be to loose it could have popped out. As Baltobonneville stated they are a bit of a pain in the ass to get set and adjusted correctly. Just tough to get in there to get the ends in the receptacles.

Bike bandit would have OEM cables if you cannot find after an market set.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a look and one end is missing from the carb, so I guess it's snapped. Ordered a new set from Triumph at $94.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
I bought the Triumph replacement, probably via the local dealer or from Hermy's.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Adjust the "pull" cable first, then the "push" cable, then check both and repeat as needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
I made a little plaster of paris mold to make cable ends that I have used over the years of many cables. Either fixing ends that break off at the fulcrum or making custom cables.
Yes, I am pretty tight..... and like to fix things. 😁

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made a little plaster of paris mold to make cable ends that I have used over the years of many cables. Either fixing ends that break off at the fulcrum or making custom cables.
Yes, I am pretty tight..... and like to fix things. 😁
That's a novel idea. How do you use it? Put the cut end of a cable into the mould and pour molten lead in?

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
That's a novel idea. How do you use it? Put the cut end of a cable into the mould and pour molten lead in?
Yes, I made the mold using both ball end and barrel end types in the plaster. It took a few try's and failures to get the right mix of lead to be strong enough. I added pewter to the lead and it strengthened it up perfect. Never had a end failure after that. So lead tire weights and maybe 20% pewter was my final batch. I have little metal holder with a handle that I heat the lead mix in then pour it into the mold with the cable end type I need. I frey the cable end a little to give more surface area for grip. I use a C-clamp to hold the mold halves together. Then pop it out of the mold and trim the slight slag and good to go, Bob's your uncle.

I started doing this back when I made my own jig heads for fishing when I was tournament bass fishing. It just progressed into cycle cable ends.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New cables arrived, will fit at the weekend if the snow holds off.

Should the throttle cables be lubed? Do they come lubed from the factory? I read modern cables have internal teflon coating which can react badly with lube. What's the official triumph procedure for a new genuine throttle cable?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts