Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

After receiving superb help on an electrical issue with my '78 T140E, I have another potential issue. (The electricals continue to work out for me, so this is a entirely separate issue.)

It seems that my throttle cable is starting to fray a bit. For the time being, it seems strong enough to do the trick, but I'd really hate to let it go and have it snap on me on the highway some time. Below is as good of a picture as I was able to capture. (The camera wanted to focus on the napkin.)

Anyway, I'm a little confused as to the correct replacement part. I have low handlebars, though judging by the length of the brake hose, it probably used to have a high bar. (I'm quite happy with the low bar, and the brake hose doesn't bother me.) However, this does mean some different specs for the throttle cable.

Do I understand correctly that the throttle cable comes in three parts - two cables (2x 60-0733) from the junction to the carbs, and another (60-7059) from the junction to the twist grip?

According to the 'Replacement parts catalogue supplement for the 1978 Bonneville T140E' (June 1978 TMA-9), the two shorter cables (60-0733) were replaced by 60-7084. The entirety of the thing (60-7002) was replaced by 60-7083. I trust that the replacement was due to the change to the MKII carbs, and only really involves the lower end of it. The junction-to-twist-grip end of it remained the same (though, there were the high/low bar versions, 60-7001 and 60-7059 respectively).

I imagine I should inspect the whole thing, but I just want confirmation that I am reading these parts books correctly at least. If I find that only the upper-end cable is shoddy that I should look to just get a 60-7059 or 60-7149 B, rather than the whole assembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,974 Posts
Depends if your bars are standard uk ones or standard USA ones
A decent supplier can tell you the length

If it was me, I would replace all three. Keep the carb ones in the garage so that if ever the replacement fails you have a back up to tide you over should you have a mail order wait

Btw stainless steel junction boxes are available - not tried one

·
Super Moderator
8,463 Posts
Hi Michael,

my throttle cable is starting to fray a bit. For the time being, it seems strong enough to do the trick, but I'd really hate to let it go and have it snap on me on the highway some time.
Bear in mind the other thing loose strands can possibly do is jam the twistgrip, or at least make it difficult to turn. :( I'd replace asap.

Do I understand correctly that the throttle cable comes in three parts - two cables (2x 60-0733) from the junction to the carbs, and another (60-7059) from the junction to the twist grip?

According to the 'Replacement parts catalogue supplement for the 1978 Bonneville T140E' (June 1978 TMA-9), the two shorter cables (60-0733) were replaced by 60-7084. The entirety of the thing (60-7002) was replaced by 60-7083. I trust that the replacement was due to the change to the MKII carbs, and only really involves the lower end of it. The junction-to-twist-grip end of it remained the same (though, there were the high/low bar versions, 60-7001 and 60-7059 respectively).

I imagine I should inspect the whole thing, but I just want confirmation that I am reading these parts books correctly
Afaict, :thumb Nevertheless, hopefully @KADUTZ will also read this and add any wrinkles that aren't in the parts books

If I find that only the upper-end cable is shoddy that I should look to just get <snip> rather than the whole assembly.
Again, bear in mind there isn't any guarantee that a new pattern cable will fit in the existing 60-0685 "Junction box" ... :bluduh

I have low handlebars, though judging by the length of the brake hose, it probably used to have a high bar.
Ime, buy the "high bar" one:-

. With low 'bars, you can use up any additional length by leading the cable around the front of the frame steering head before pointing it towards the carbs.; that path ensures the cable always has the desirable large-radius bend, even when the steering is turned fully to the right.

. If you decide to change 'bars, you have the additional cable length already, simply by moving the cable to the other side of the frame, :thumb rather than needing to buy another cable. :(

Fwiw, it's what I've done for years with all throttle and clutch cables on all my bikes; there's plenty enough to worry about on these old heaps without wondering - half-way through a job on 'bars - whether the cables'll be long enough when you've finished ...

Coupled with that is a variation of Dave's advice. Along with many other consumable spares, I have a spare of each cable in the garage at least, because even if your spares supplier is walking distance, even he isn't open Saturday evenings and Sundays, when you want to go for a ride and some piddly little thing has gone wrong. :bluduh On something like the 500, the spare cables are on the bike, zip-tied to the ones in use, ends covered with waterproof tape over a plastic bag (so when you need the cable and rip off the tape, the plastic bag comes off with all the adhesive, the end of the cable isn't sticky. :badum).

The electricals continue to work out
:)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends if your bars are standard uk ones or standard USA ones
A decent supplier can tell you the length

If it was me, I would replace all three. Keep the carb ones in the garage so that if ever the replacement fails you have a back up to tide you over should you have a mail order wait

Btw stainless steel junction boxes are available - not tried one
Hi Michael,

Bear in mind the other thing loose strands can possibly do is jam the twistgrip, or at least make it difficult to turn. :( I'd replace asap.
That sounds like sage advice. I've just been wary of cost. The whole deal seems to only really be available at Klempf's (here) for not exactly a pittance. Anyway, I bit the bullet and made it happen. This way I know that the junction box is right, and I can put my mind at ease about the other cables, and have some emergency spares.

In the notes on my order, I mentioned the bars issue. It sounds like Klempf has a good reputation, and by soliciting information on my bike, there might be an extra brain on the task of making sure I'm getting the right part.

·
Premium Member
9,974 Posts
Chuffing hell!

A complete set of t140e cables from LP Williams is about £40

I would guess that the dollar/pound rate is in your favour since some nutters decided that leaving the eu was a good idea.

Phil at LPW doesn't charge much more than the correct P&p costs

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
First I don't know how short your bars are. I do remember pushing UK tanked bike about the showroom floor when they were new in 79. Those bars were short.

Looks like you are ready the parts book correctly. I may go pull a couple of cables later to compare the lowers. If you want a shorter upper cable 60-7059 is the one I would try. BUT it could be to short. Without seeing pictures of your set up its all just an educated guess.

Good morning Stuart:Wave

Haven't been out here that much lately as I have been busy lately on the ancestry thing.

Talk to you later..

K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts