Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced cable on my 99 1200. Got T2040454 from BikeBandit. Seems too short, Turn forks and throttle went 100%. Dealer says part # is T2043512, Ordered and outside of bag says T2043512, cable in bag labeled T2040454. T2040454 shows for later model. Dealer says no supersession shown. Are these the same? Any ideas?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I cannot help specifically on the throttle cable but a similar thing happened to me recently. I ordered brake caliper bolts for my '97 Trophy. The originals a black with a Torx head and they were described as such on the parts fiche. I ordered according to that part number but received stainless steel hex head bolts. The part number was the same and the dealer said that all Triumph black bolts have been replaced with SS.

My point is: it seems the parts numbers for legacy spares are not as specific as they should be. Annoying, especially in your case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem with my 1998 900. After 3 visits to the dealer I gave up and used the original outer cable and fittings and made up a new inner cable. It seems that the original cable is not available - or that is what the dealer told me!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I researched the cable part numbers looking for descriptions that might show a clue or two. It's not very clear what the difference is. Most web sites list both cables for your model. Both cables are 820mm length. The ...54 cable is branded as a Type 2. Have no clue what a type 2 is. I would love to see the new one (54) next to the old one.

If you are going full throttle turning the bars, I would think you have a cable routing issue. The best way to replace a cable is to tie the new cable to the old one. When you pull the old one out, the new one is in the correct path, assuming the old one was correct.

As a matter of fact, I had this issue. Turning hard left or right would increase RPM's but not wide open throttle. Kinda embarrassing backing the bike in with a group. lol! Messed with the cable a few times thinking too tight in a place or two due to a previous owner installing the bar risers. After three years of fiddling with it I finally found where it was hanging up. Under the gas tank is the two plastic covers that help shield heat from the tank. Well, the throttle cable was previously ran so that it was pinched between the plastic cover and the downward angled part of the frame next to the neck. I took the cable end off at the grip and rerouted it under that angled part of the frame and reconnected, viola, no more unwanted revving at full turns.

Best wishes in your cable issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cannot help specifically on the throttle cable but a similar thing happened to me recently. I ordered brake caliper bolts for my '97 Trophy. The originals a black with a Torx head and they were described as such on the parts fiche. I ordered according to that part number but received stainless steel hex head bolts. The part number was the same and the dealer said that all Triumph black bolts have been replaced with SS.

My point is: it seems the parts numbers for legacy spares are not as specific as they should be. Annoying, especially in your case.
I used theses for the rear calipers after one stripped the head. seems like it is a discontinued part now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks, but that is the wrong part. I was talking about the bolts that hold the caliper onto the forks.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Triumph assures me the later cable will work on my 99. I have to expect parts for a 17 year old machine can be hard to find. I will be more careful in the routing and will double check before putting all that bodywork back on. Thanks to those who responded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to post an update. The later cable worked perfectly. I was very careful in routing and checked to see if I was getting any movement when turning the bars before putting all that bodywork back on. Still makes me wonder why Triumph ever had two part numbers.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I recently replaced my throttle cable also, the new cable worked after I made a custom wrench to tighten up the top nut and tightened the curve above the carbs to 90 degrees instead of the less than 90 degree bend that came on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts