Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i need to adjust the throttle cable at the cam end, having raised the bars a little, Haynes says to do this i need to remove fairing, tank, carbs and airbox. can the tank be removed without removing the fairing anyone know? cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers - what about the side/rear panels - the bit under the seat - does that need to be removed for the carbs to come off?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
IIRC, the cable adjuster sits between carbs 1 & 2 & is just hard enough to get at that it may be worth pulling the carbs. Royal pain, either way... :p

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys - its one of those challenges that looks simple but as i work my way through the manual gets more complicated - it'll say adjust at carb end, ok, then see chap 4, which is remove tank, then see chap 5 remove fairing etc etc. I dont know if you guys know - what do you think is the minimum i need to do to get to the adjuster?!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gday mate. you don't need to remove the tank, just lift it a little to get to fuel hoses and vacuum hose. You will need to remove seat and the rear panels to get to the air box inlet tubes. Remove the battery and remove tubes. pull the airbox back as far as you can, then pull the carbs out to the left side. A little hint to better access to the adjuster is to remove the choke slide. It just unclips. But it might be easier to adjust from the bar end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
throttle cable

hey ozjimmy,
thanks for this mate - i have since been told that a: the carbs are really tight and hard to winkle off, and b: i need to grind down a 10mm open spanner to 2mm thickness...whats all that about? beginning to think i might just put the bars back down!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The carbs don't fall out , but not to hard to move. And grinding the spanner makes it a special tool that will come in handy for that job. You need to grind it down for a better fit between the carbs. I use a ring spanner that iv'e cut enough out of to get the cable through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts