Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I had a little bit of a rough idle and decided to check if my throttle bodies were in balance. Originally, they were hovering between 670 and 690. After playing with them, I got them locked in at 660 across the board but i'm wondering if that is too low? RPM's at idle are around 1300 warmed up...is that normal? I stupidly didn't check before but I think bikes typically idle higher than your average car which would be about half of that.

It idles much smoother now but want to be sure i'm in spec. I see some ppl are around 650 but others are over 700 so i'm not sure what is normal and what isn't.

Also, anyone know what this connector is? It was sitting near the fuel line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the input. If you wouldn't mind sharing the specs when you're back in town, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
4,722 Posts
Well I found the spec in my Triumph school documents but I don’t know if I believe it.

It says 570mm/hg which is 760hpa which is what TuneECU measures in. I can’t recall ever seeing a 675 measure over 700. Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly though.

When you adjust them you should only ever adjust the outside two cylinders to match the middle one. This way you never move the overall adjustement since actual vacuum level is an indicator of flow problems or normal changes over time. Temp, atmospheric pressure, air filter quality combustion chamber cleanliness, valve adjustment, throttle body cleanliness, exhaust changes and more can all affect this number so it’s really only a useable number on a brand new bike under ideal conditions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's a little discouraging haha. Before I adjusted anything, the middle cylinder was around 680. After I started messing with the outer 2 cylinders, the middle one could only reach 660. Any reason it couldn't stay at 680 since it doesn't have its own adjuster?

I'm hoping some others chime in on this. Can't imagine my bike is running that crappy...at least I hope :/

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did mine using tuneecu. Had a hard time fiddling with the two butterfly intake screws until I found a balance at 680 hPa and 1350 rpm idle

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did mine using tuneecu. Had a hard time fiddling with the two butterfly intake screws until I found a balance at 680 hPa and 1350 rpm idle
Ok that makes me feel better. I found out my tps voltage is a little off so I'm going to do the tps adjustment and redo the idle adjustment. Hoping everything is silky smooth after

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I went a step further and adjusted my TPS voltage because it was originally reading .62 and .70 volts. I got it to .60 and .72 but now I'm getting some hanging revs.

My throttle returns with a snap to fully closed so I don't think I pinched a throttle cable.

Has anyone encountered hanging revs after a TPS or TB synch?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts