Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried to balance throttles with Tuneboy? I'm lost.
Triumph manual says to:
- remove tank and airbox
- connect diagnostic tool
- temporarily refit fuel tank and start engine
- balance throttles
Now, because this is done with ECU reading what are the vacuum values, then it must use MAP sensor. But without airbox there is no MAP sensor! (it is mounted on airbox and disconnected to remove it).
If I put airbox back, then there is no access to adjustment screws...

Anybody knows how to do it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
No re-plumb necessary. The map sensor has a quick enough reaction time that with the different length tubes connected to the throttle bodies, it can differentiate between the cylinders. I am used to balancing with a manometer on each TB, so this threw me for a loop the first time as well.

If you remove the air box, you will need to re-hook up the maps sensor to the same tube and plug in the Air Temp sensor. Then all you need to do is hook up the Tuneboy, go to the diagnostic screen where it has the big 3 readouts for MAP, cylinder 1, 2, and 3. Start the engine and let the bike warm-up. The difference between the 3 should settle down and be between +-5. (Did this in spring, Ill have to recheck that number)

This is definitely not the best manual I have read. It leaves quite a bit out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I thought that I might be a little off thinking to remove MAP from airbox and attach it, but this seems standard procedure (completely omitted in the Triumph shop manual, of course). If you use MAP sensor for balance you connect it as usual, no need to use second nipple on central throttle.
DEcosse, I've used the differential manometer (clear tubes with oil) to balance carbs on my SV before. No other method can match its accuracy, not even tuning sticks or mercury devices. MAP sensor behaves in the way typical for digital sensors, with resolution step of 7. I think next time I'll add one more tube to my 2-cylinder device and do the balancing accurately. From my experience this has quite recognizable effect on engine smoothness.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just out of curiosity B... I read that your bike has about 16k ish on her from a valve adjustment post... Just how much out of balance were your throttle bodies? I'm not so much into requesting exact PSIG or MBAR readings, just roughly...

Reason, mine were dead even at 6k. Just curious how the triple fares 10k from now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just out of curiosity B... I read that your bike has about 16k ish on her from a valve adjustment post... Just how much out of balance were your throttle bodies? I'm not so much into requesting exact PSIG or MBAR readings, just roughly...

Reason, mine were dead even at 6k. Just curious how the triple fares 10k from now?

Thanks!
Cylinders #2 and #3 were identical, cylinder #1 one digital step (7 units) above. On Triumph gameboy this would probably show as balanced. I opened #1 screw a bit more to align all 3.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cylinders #2 and #3 were identical, cylinder #1 one digital step (7 units) above. On Triumph gameboy this would probably show as balanced. I opened #1 screw a bit more to align all 3.
Good to know... Thank you kindly sir!

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is good to hear. My previous GSXR required throttle balancing 2x a year. PITA. But that was the old slide carbs with spring loaded adjustment screws.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Havent looked, but does anyone know if the adjustment screws are accessible without taking the tank/airbox off?
No way. Screws are on the front side of the throttle bodies, right below the intake openings - airbox blocks them completely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts