Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've finally decided on my next bike, a black-white T100 that I plan to turn into a cafe/Thruxton style bike. Just really like the paint on those tanks but the riding style of a cafe bike.
That being said, looking at used prices in the North West and I feel things are a bit high.

I'v found a bike that's close to what I'd like 2007 T100 with 12,000 mi for $6995
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3229950790.html

And a completely stock 2007 T100 with 3,000 miles for $6500
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/3281425587.html

What do you guys think of these options and prices? I'd like to pay less than 6k for a used T100, seams reasonable right?

·
Registered
430 Posts
T100 prices

If this helps any. In 06 before the Great Depression I paid $6K for an 04 mint T100SE with 6000 miles. It is metallic red metallic in color and has the checkerboard scallopps tank & matching checkerboard Bikini fairing. I would check Kelly Blue Book retail price.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought a new T100 in 2011 because the used ones were almost as much as a new one, you have to pay tag, title and tax either way, I know the tax on a new one is more but not that much. The short story is Bonnies hold there value pretty well. You just live once, get the one you want.

Just my opinion

Best of luck to you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Zen,

Took me about a month to find my used T100. I am located in San Diego and I was watching Craigslist as far east as AZ and NV to as far north as San Francisco. Problem with my location is that used T100's do not come up for sale that often and when they do, they go fast. I paid $6,200 for a used 2006 T100 with 2000 miles on it. When I was watching all these Craigslist ads, I would email the sellers to ask how much the bike ended up selling for. The average price for down in this area was between $6,100 - $6,600. The years and mileage were between 2001-2008 with mileage that averaged between 2000-7000 miles. I was looking for a carbureted bike with low miles, hence my search range. The price all depends on IF someone is desperate to sell.

Since the bike you are looking at is 4+ years old with low miles, just make sure the carburetors are not gummed up. This is an easy fix and you will know if the carbs are gummed up. Simply start the bike and listen for a knock in the low rpm idle. Also another issue you need to monitor is the crank seal for possible oil leaks. Since you can never tell how the bike was stored, there is a possibility that as you ride the bike, the crank seal is most likely dried out and the heat will cause it to expand which in turn leads it to leak oil. I am speaking from experience . These both were very easy fixes and the parts were super cheap. Just giving you a heads up. If either of these problems reveal themselves, it could be grounds to ask for a further price drop.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Because a Black and White will be a T100, I think its going to bring a little more $$. You get the spokes,the tach, the chrome cases, the 2 tone. I have one, which is not for sale, but I'm guessing $6k is going to get you a nice low mileage one.

They hardly come up for sale here in NY and when they do, they go pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Because a Black and White will be a T100, I think its going to bring a little more $$. You get the spokes,the tach, the chrome cases, the 2 tone. I have one, which is not for sale, but I'm guessing $6k is going to get you a nice low mileage one.

They hardly come up for sale here in NY and when they do, they go pretty quick.
^
This.

A tuxedo was first on my list, but had some alternates in mind since I was not finding much. When I finally bought mine used in 2008, a guy showed up to see it not five minutes after I did. Thankfully, I was already tending a deposit. :D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Try cycletrader.com

I bought my 04 B&W T100 used in 05 with 2350 mi for $5700 from a dealership. Had to drive about 6 hrs to get it though. One of the last father-son trips I made with my dad before he passed so its become sort of sentimental to me now. Probably won't ever sell the old girl for that reason alone.

Might want to include cycletrader.com as a search site - lotsa bikes on that site too.

Best,

P

·
Registered
257 Posts
People seem to be getting top $ for their bikes out here in California. Been on the search for a thruxton for a little while now and seen people asking almost the cost of buying a brand new bike. I guess people are in desperate need of money and won't budge to much on their asking price.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid $6,200 for a used 2006 T100 with 2000 miles on it. When I was watching all these Craigslist ads, I would email the sellers to ask how much the bike ended up selling for. The average price for down in this area was between $6,100 - $6,600. The years and mileage were between 2001-2008 with mileage that averaged between 2000-7000 miles. I was looking for a carbureted bike with low miles, hence my search range. The price all depends on IF someone is desperate to sell.
Thanks, this is great detailed information that I like to hear. I did a similar thing by looking through all the old listings on here for about the last 6 months. I found that for 2001 to 2007 models the avg price was $5900. For newer models, 2010 to 2011, the average price was $7500.

Another thing I realized over the weekend is that I think I'd rather buy a stock bike and customize it myself vs. buying someone else's project. It'll be near impossible that I'll find a bike that is customized as I would do it myself, and no sense paying for someone else mods that I will just want to change down the road.
Plus, isn't half of the fun in doing the wrenching yourself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zen, no worries. I should have mentioned, that I too was in search of a stock bike. That added a bit of time as I am finding allot of people like to mod the T100's. The only additions the T100 I bought had was a center stand and the K & N air intake kit. I must say, I love the center stand and probably would have never added it if I had bought the bike without it. Makes for changing the oil a real easy task.

Since I bought the bike I have only added necessity items as I plan to keep it stock. I just love the stock look of the bike. I have only add a Right Hand mount Triumph city bag.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Seems a bit high to me. I paid $7900 for a used T-100 with a bunch of farkles in April. It only had 804 miles on it.

That said, I rarely see used Bonnies in this area. I'm much more likely to see a vintage Bonnie than a new one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I sold my '06 T100 (creamsicle) in June for $6000. It was bone stock but had very low (1200) miles. The buyer was very satisfied with the price and I felt I got what the bike was worth for my area.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hunted on Craigslist and cycle trader for about 3 months, and watched bikes come and go. Finally when I decided to wait 'til winter, one caught my eye and I bagged a 2011 T100 with almost no miles for $7,500.

My limit was 6. But to be fair, I set that limit without even looking. I was even open to scramblers. So i raised my limit to seven and still went over. There were two that sold from underneath me but in the end it was meant to be. I didn't like some of the offers out there, and as others have mentioned here some of those prices start competing with bikes 5 years newer!

The best advice I can pass on is not to settle. Wait for that bike that's keeping you up at night. Or, as the famous philosopher Wayne Campbell once quoteth;

" I say hurl. If you blow chunks and she comes back, she's yours. But if you spew and she bolts, then it was never meant to be. "

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the deal is done. Got an excellent condition 2007 T100 with 3100 miles for 6K. I'm pretty happy with it, seems like a fair price to me. Now comes the real expenses... all the mods I have in mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a 2012 T 100 black and graphite with 458 miles on it from a private seller $8300 after dmv tax. Loaded with bits I sold for a overa grand on Ebay. After I bought used Staintunes and new bonneville signals and I'm out the door with a great bike for $7500.
Can't get my a#s off of it. Oh plus the bits I saved are CRG mirrors, Scrambler Gel seat and hand rail. so far in a month I put 3 grand in miles.:D

·
Registered
775 Posts
LOCATION LOCATION and you guessed it, LOCATION.

Even has high up in region as Chicago, we can ride from Mid-March to Early Nov to and from work.

However, finding a Bonneville in Chicago, when I was looking, was not an easy task. I ended up driving 3 hours one way to acquire mine and when my best bud rode it and had to have one as well, we drove almost four hours one way to get his bike.

Here is about where the market is at in Chicago.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/3296483207.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcd/3284245183.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/3308058974.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts