Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a full face helmet. Been riding with an open face and I'm ok with that for city riding, but don't feel comfortable on the highway. Full face helmets can make me feel a bit claustrophobic so I've been doing a lot of research on modulars. I think the ability to open up the face quickly at lights or during brief stops to easily take a drink or just get some air is big for me.

So going out to dealerships you get a lot of varied opinions. Guy at the Honda dealership couldnt care less. Triumph/Ducati didn't even carry any. I was at the BMW dealership yesterday to check out the Schuberth C3 ($700...yikes, but a damn nice helmet) and the British guy who worked there said he'd never wear anything but a regular full face, though he'd never heard of a single incident of a modular being any less protective in a crash. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I'm also looking at the Shoei Multitec, Nolan N90, and Bell Revolver on the cheaper end ($200) though all the reviews say the Bell is like sticking your head in a jet engine at highway speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Just make sure you try them on before buying.

I've never been a massive fan of modular helmets, as they tend to look stupid, and weigh a ton. Though, I have seen a couple recently that don't LOOK like a modular helmet, and are actually surprisingly light. So maybe they've gotten a lot better. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the C3 is amazingly light and you almost can't see the seam unless you're really looking for it. Quick glance and you'd never think it was a modular. It's also narrower than most full face helmets. But again, $700. Just now looking at the Shoei Neotec which is the update of the Multitec. $600 with some nice features, but looks a little more like a modular.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've always worn full face helmets, Arai and Shoei. For the past few years, I've switched to modulars, including Nolan, HJC, and Scorpion. Although they are heavier than a non-modular fullface, I seldom ride for more that two hours without a break, so the weight issue doesn't matter. The convenience of a modular offsets the extra weight for me. I like being able to pop open the face for getting fuel, conversation or drinking.

My current helmet is a Scorpion 700. This is by far the most comfortable and quiet helmet I have owned. Even quieter that previous Arias and Shoeis. I'm sold on modulars.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
HJC has a new modular you might want to check out. I don't know anything about it, but I saw an advert for it. HJC helmets are reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Scorpion Exo 900 fabulous helmet

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a MultiTec and I am very happy with it. I was a bit concerned that it would be heavy, but I haven't noticed it a bit. I love having the option to flip up at a stop light, especially when it's hot. Shoei makes a nice product, the fit and finish is top notch...but then again it aught to be for the price :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it fits your squash and you need a modular helmet, then the C3 is the way to go.

I felt the same way with the claustrophobic thing with a full face. Then I tried an Arai RX-Q. Light, huge vision area and fit me perfectly. No claustrophobic feeling at all and super light.

Try as many helmets as you can. When the right one is on, you'll know it immediately.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I prefer modulars. I am currently using a SHARK Evoline Series 2.
This is like four helmets in one. With the chin bar in place and the large face sheild down...its a full face helmet. Very Quiet when compared to my old HJC Modular. Flip the chin bar back and you have a three quarter helmet..perfect for the parkway and reasonably quiet. Flip the full sheild up, lower the sun sheild and your riding with a half screen. Flip up the sunsheild and you have an open face helmet. Riding with the large face sheild up is noisy and speeds over 65 mph tends tp push the sheild down. In all configurations the visibility for me in the Shark has been better then HJC. At 1950 grams (XL) it is significantly lighter then the HJC. Both Helmets were comfortable.

I looked at Nolan and Shubert. They are excellent quality products but I cannot justify the price tag. My glasses would not fit properly wearing either of these helmets. I wanted to try the new Bell Revolver, but no one local had one I could try on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like my full face modular helmet from Cycle Gear, around $100 on sale. The most important part (to me) is getting one that fits the shape of your head, I tried some of the more expensive helmets but they just didn't fit right. The built in drop down sun screen feature is really nice.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If it fits your squash and you need a modular helmet, then the C3 is the way to go.

I felt the same way with the claustrophobic thing with a full face. Then I tried an Arai RX-Q. Light, huge vision area and fit me perfectly. No claustrophobic feeling at all and super light.

Try as many helmets as you can. When the right one is on, you'll know it immediately.
I have to say, the C3 is a very VERY nice helmet. And it fit me pretty well. The BMW dealership didn't have any mediums but were getting some in this week, so I'm going back Friday to check the difference between the medium and large just to be sure. The large felt really comfortable on my head, a little tight on the chin, but there was a tiny bit of give all around my skull. That felt nice, but I think I might prefer to size down to a medium, have it be a bit tight out of the box and then break in to fit my head perfectly. Just want to make sure the size down doesn't make the front clearance TOO tight.

As far as the money's concerned, I'm not that worried about the pricetag. When you're talking about your skull, what's an extra $300-400 every 5 years or so? But my one concern is that a lot of reviews seem to say that you're not really getting anything for that money over, say, the Neotec. Basically a lot of people claim you pay $300 for the Schuberth logo. The only other somewhat clearcut advantage it seems to have is that it is DOT and ECE rated. Snell doesn't rate modular helmets (yet) and this is the first modular to be released in the states with an ECE rating, which is basically the same standard. So if there were any safety concerns with a modular versus a full face, that could help.

Totally separate issue (and very minor) - Anyone know a good way to use a KewLock helmet lock on a helmet with a quick release instead of a D-ring fastener?

·
Registered
118 Posts
each helmet "shape" is slightly different. So that could be the main point between the brands.

If it fits your head, but feels too tight in the face, ask if the cheek pads are replaceable. That could make a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Had Nolan. Great helmet, but too heavy or strange center of gravity. I developed unpleasant neck pain on longer rides. I sold it on eBay with full disclosure, so I hope the next owner finds it wonderful.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Funny this conversation would come up just as I, for the first time in my life, am considering a modular. Let me say that I've always worn full-face Shoeis (they just fit me like nothing else, and I like their quality), but of course, having ridden only sportbikes before my recent Bonnie purchase, my helmets have venting better suited to a more aggressive position on the bike, and I wanted something that would flow air better around my bean on the upright Bonneville.
So, with all that in mind, I'd actually gone into the shop to check out the Scorpion EXO-900 because I liked the idea of the slide-down internal visor, the light weight, the reviews I'd read on it were very positive, and it was about half the price of the NeoTec. It was OK-ish, but even with the "air-pump" cheekpad fitment, it didn't feel as comfortable as what I'm used to.
So then I looked at the NeoTec. The salesgirl (don't laugh, the girls in this store's helmet dept. are some of the most amazingly knowledgeable, helpful people I've ever dealt with in a m/c shop) pointed out that the drop-down visor was a new deal for Shoei, but they had taken their time and done it right - the other brands she'd seen actually removed some the structure inside the helmet to fit the mechanism and visor itself sliding up into the upper shell. Shoei did not, which accounts for the even more "modular" look it has on the outer surface above the outside visor, but kudos to them for not compromising the helmet to add an amenity. This one also fit me perfectly (no big surprise), and nearly as importantly felt a lot more...substantial. No doubt some of that impression was due to a bit heavier weight, but it just felt better put-together.
I haven't found a Schubert dealer locally yet, but I'd like to try one of those, too, before I make my decision.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny this conversation would come up just as I, for the first time in my life, am considering a modular. Let me say that I've always worn full-face Shoeis (they just fit me like nothing else, and I like their quality), but of course, having ridden only sportbikes before my recent Bonnie purchase, my helmets have venting better suited to a more aggressive position on the bike, and I wanted something that would flow air better around my bean on the upright Bonneville.
So, with all that in mind, I'd actually gone into the shop to check out the Scorpion EXO-900 because I liked the idea of the slide-down internal visor, the light weight, the reviews I'd read on it were very positive, and it was about half the price of the NeoTec. It was OK-ish, but even with the "air-pump" cheekpad fitment, it didn't feel as comfortable as what I'm used to.
So then I looked at the NeoTec. The salesgirl (don't laugh, the girls in this store's helmet dept. are some of the most amazingly knowledgeable, helpful people I've ever dealt with in a m/c shop) pointed out that the drop-down visor was a new deal for Shoei, but they had taken their time and done it right - the other brands she'd seen actually removed some the structure inside the helmet to fit the mechanism and visor itself sliding up into the upper shell. Shoei did not, which accounts for the even more "modular" look it has on the outer surface above the outside visor, but kudos to them for not compromising the helmet to add an amenity. This one also fit me perfectly (no big surprise), and nearly as importantly felt a lot more...substantial. No doubt some of that impression was due to a bit heavier weight, but it just felt better put-together.
I haven't found a Schubert dealer locally yet, but I'd like to try one of those, too, before I make my decision.
Definitely check out the C3. They're only about $100 more than the NeoTec's online and have a ton of nice features, not the least of which is that they don't even look like modulars. If you like the visor in the NeoTec you'll be just as happy with the C3. I haven't taken either out on a bike yet, but from what I can gather from online reviews the C3 is much quieter - basically the quietest modular helmet ever built. Literally the only place within 50 miles of New York City that has them in store is the BMW dealership, so I'd suggest trying your local BMW shop. They do fit snug front to back, especially compared to Shoei's, so it's worth a trip to check them out in person. Careful though...They're pretty and you'll be tempted to walk out with one and pay the silly $50 dealer markup.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Modular helmets are geeky, and I have one. It's an inexpensive HJC, and coming from Arais and Shoeis, I had to clamp the forehead area overnight to squeeze the styrofoam enough so the pressure points weren't agonizing, so yes, you get what you pay for regarding fit and finish.

I like the convenience of being able to pump gas, find stuff in my pockets, and talk to people at stops without needing to remove the helmet. Just don't be that guy riding around the city all day with the modular helmet open. You'll be taking a huge fashion risk if you do, because it's impossible not to look like a geek when you do that.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Modular helmets are geeky, and I have one. It's an inexpensive HJC, and coming from Arais and Shoeis, I had to clamp the forehead area overnight to squeeze the styrofoam enough so the pressure points weren't agonizing, so yes, you get what you pay for regarding fit and finish.

I like the convenience of being able to pump gas, find stuff in my pockets, and talk to people at stops without needing to remove the helmet. Just don't be that guy riding around the city all day with the modular helmet open. You'll be taking a huge fashion risk if you do, because it's impossible not to look like a geek when you do that.:D
Ditto on the helmet open comment......If I want to give my wife a good laugh I walk in the house with the helmet flipped up...works every time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've got a Vemar modular with built in bluetooth. It's a fantastic helmet, but it is a little heavy. I don't mind full face, so I'm going with a Bell for my next one, and will add a third party blue tooth solution. I almost never flip up the face anymore. Putting the face shield is enough for me, but I don't get claustrophobic.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts