Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had bought an almost brand new Trophy. 2003 with 270 miles. Since that time I have put 1500 additional miles on it with a wide grin. Here are some preliminary observations. These bikes are not top heavy. I have been told that this is a problem but not with mine. Once he starts rolling, his name is Bill, he becomes very lively. There is a tipping point but compared to my Legend this bike is in another league.
I noticed some front end wiggle at high speeds. Is this possibly due to the windshield? Has anyone cut equalization holes in their stock shield to try to get the same effect as a Clearshield? Finally, how rough do these engines idle? My tach doesn't jump but the engine isn't smooth at idle. I have put a can of Sea Foam through it but it didn't help. Is it possible that the pilots may have some debris. Once above idle the bike is smooth as silk. Thanks for listening,
Flybiker :razz:

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Congrats on the bike,

The top-heaviness issue occurs when one is at a stop, or moving it around by hand. When you're at a stop, you must keep the bike almost vertical unless you are one very STRONG individual. Also, like most bikes today, it wasn't built for a person with a 29" inseam or thereabouts. As you say, once you're on the move, it's a dream to ride and corner with. Watch out for the low-speed u-turns as well.

I plan to join a gym so that I can handle mine better: Jim

·
Registered
231 Posts
What RPM is your bike Idling at? It should be 1000 or slightly above. Mine has always sounded a little rough. It's normal.

Your wobble could just be tyre pressure. I run 38f - 41r and get around 10,000 of the rear Avon. Check the front wheel to make sure a wheel weight isn't missing.
If that is not the problem, you may need to check the steering head bearings.
There are several ways to do this without tearing into the front end.

Your best bet is to find an Ol' geezer like me in your neck of the woods that knows what to look for.

Cheers,

Tom.

·
Registered
348 Posts
On a bike with so few miles the wiggle is probably from an unbalanced front tire. I have to disagree, these girls are extremely top-heavy, especially loaded for travel and with a passenger. Wind management is open to trial and error and totally personal. My 900 idles alittle rough also, check her plugs, burn 92/93 octane. Also, she doesn't smooth out until she's warmed-up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your Trophy.Also envious that you're able to put miles on at this time of year.I've got about 7 inches of snow in my yard,the roads have compact snow,and it got all the way up to 15 degrees yesterday.Watch out for sidewinds and passing semi-trucks on the freeway.That is the only downside to the Trophy that I've EVER had.Just an incredible,enjoyable bike,for trips or riding two up.My Speed Triple is for my soul.Sometimes a guy just has to rock'n'roll.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fly,
Everyone knows that Trophies are female, with curves an a shape like hers there is no way these babies are men.....
A name change is in order here....... :knkknk:

I am always amazed when I read people gettin 10k out of a set of tires............

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hey Tooth,

My Emerald Green Trophy was named by my buddy's wife....she took one look at it and christened it "The Irish Rocket". Seeing as how my mother was born in County Cavan, Ireland, it only seemed fitting. I ride with the Cavan Crest on the rear fender. I guess it's just my age showing, but I got over 13,000 miles on my original set of Bridgestones.....

Erin Go Braugh!! Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
I even hate to bring this one up Jim but I cant let it go......
You named a British bike the "Irish Rocket"? Correct me if I am wrong but County Cavan is not one of the six counties of Northern Ireland.......My soon to be ex wife is of Irish decent (Mayo and Cork) and she was always trying to pick off the Union Jack from my bike. I caught hell buying gas at BP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey there I had a CBR1000 I find the trophy just as good in the handing & in the wind People told me they were top heavy & soft in the suspension, The weight is the same the handing as good ,I ride hard & some times cruise, The triumph would be better on longer trips,Although down on HP but up on torque, All round very happy with the trophy (first British bike)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hi Tooth,

Of course, you're right, but it would seem better to name the Trophy "The Irish Rocket" than a Japanese bike, don't you think? I once had an English Springer Spaniel that had a litter by a real scoundrel of an Irish Setter, but the pups didn't have any emotional problems that I ever noticed. SWMBO is of French descent so that solves the flag picking problems. Of course, I could have taken my youngest daughter's suggestion and named it "The Green Goblin", after the Spiderman character, but it just didn't have the "class" of "The Irish Rocket".

Hope this clears the matter up: Jim

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's always nice to get a little dialogue going. First off I have fiddled with the idle between 800 and 1000 but it's still not as smooth as my Legend. Secondly, when I bought the bike the former owner patted her and cried so I named him Bill in his honor. Even though it does have curves like a lady and I had always intended to name it after a female, his name is Bill. My other bike is named Sarah. I was traveling the other day in 25 kts. crosswinds and the bike does move. I bet any website that is dealing with heavily faired bikes will have the same comments.
As far a the front end wobble is concerned, I experienced a small side to side movement at high speed when in the draft of an 18 wheeler. I'm sure the "dirty" air from the truck had something to do with it. I have since been on the super slab again with no company and quiet wind conditions and the ride was wonderful. I can see riding long distance on it this summer.
Finally I am sorry all can't enjoy the great winters we have on the coast here in Alabama but we pay for it in the summer. I ride very little from Aug. to the end of Sept. The heat is brutal. I take every opportunity to be somewhere else. Also hurricanes have a way of rearranging your belongings from time to time. As I plan on lowering the bike by the eccentric chain adjuster route, does anyone what this does to the kickstand height? Does anyone know what the stock size of the front sprocket is? Thanks,

·
Registered
172 Posts
I plan on lowering the bike by the eccentric chain adjuster route, does anyone what this does to the kickstand height? Does anyone know what the stock size of the front sprocket is? Thanks,
On my 98 the side stand is so short that lowering an inch made it about like other bikes. Lowered her one winter on a whim. Had read about it and was looking into getting a bike for my wife. I thought she might enjoy a lowered Trophy. She didn't, wanted a Duc Monster. Anyway, the side stand worked fine. The center stand was basically useless though. Had her short for a few weeks b4 deciding that I wanted the height back. It is a straight forward mod that can easily be put back to normal.

BTW, the stock sprocket size on a 2003 is 18/40

[ This message was edited by: Trophy1298 on 2006-12-04 20:44 ]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info Trophy 1298 on the kickstand and sprocket sizes. I read that you have to go to a size 19 if you flip the chain adjuster. If my center stand won't be as usable at the lower height then I will have the rethink the change. I raised my Legend and had to buy a T'bird kickstand to compensate for the increase in height.
Flybiker

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, you may be able to get it on the center stand lowered, but I couldn't. On the 98 the center stand is a little bit of a challenge at normal height. I keep saying "on the 98" b/c I think I remember something about stand changes at some point since 98. If your normal height Trophy leans over substantially more than other bikes, and the center stand takes a good bit of effort, then they may be the same.

Worst case scenario, if you lower it and the side stand is too long (due to a change in stands since 1998) we could just swap side stands. I don't mind how far it leans now, but not as much lean would be fine too.

Good luck
Brian

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trophy 1298, I will keep the swap idea in mind. I still have to decide if I want to lower the bike or not. I can reach the ground when riding two up. So I may not lower it. Probably will wish I had the first time I drop it. :razz:

·
Registered
570 Posts
flybiker251,
Lowering is pretty simple. Just remember to raise the forks an equal amount. Also, there is a cast "nob" sticking out the side of the rear brake caliper that needs to be cut off to clear the caliper rod. Use a hack-saw, DON'T USE A GRINDER!!! You should change front sprocket to a 19 tooth if it doesn't already have one(my '02 does). If not, chain will grind down the rubber slider on the swing arm in a hurry trashing the swing arm. Unless you're pretty strong, forget about raising up on the center stand, unless you carry a board around to roll the rear tire up on first. I did the mod to mine and changed it back after a week. I had no issues with the side stand being to long. Being short, lowering it made parking lot maneuvers a lot easier. However, riding 2 up is too low. I'm considering buying new adjustable "dog bones" to lower bike about a 1/2 inch instead of the 1 inch from the chain adjuster. Just my observations.
Try it, if it works for you, great. If not, you can always put it back to stock. Best of luck. ervdrvr1

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Ervdrv1, As I said in the post I am a newly annointed Trophy rider. I bought the bike in the middle of Nov. and then got sick. I have only managed to put 2000 miles on the bike but the more I ride the less I am inclined to lower it. I only have a 29 1/2 in inseam so it is a stretch but with two up it makes it easier. But thanks for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts