Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to read the different answers. Windtherapy inspired me to ask,

At what point are our (street) bikes fast enough?" :D

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I believe Mr. Mark Donohue was asked this question when he was racing the Porsche 917-30 (a 1500 hp Can Am car). His response:

"it will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear"

Now if we take that to the roads...well, I know of some pretty long and straight roads in Nevada so draw your own conclusions...:D

·
Registered
805 Posts
This being my first big bike, its fast enough now. I still haven't had the throttle wide open yet. I imagine that will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think some of the newer crotch rockets are already there (too much power.) When they have to have software selectable modes to keep a bike like a GSX-R from getting away from you, its too much power.. I've seen youtube videos where dudes are accelerating to max speed, and the front wheel keeps popping up into a wheelstand in higher gears (I'm talking like 4th gear and up!) just from acceleration. That's bullsh1t!!! Thats the kinda thing that makes me feel like the bike is so powerful it's not really controllable or streetable.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I must be getting old. I have reached that stage where handling is more important that outright HP. The roads are so heavily policed that I focus my energy in achieving the perfect corner. My insurance costs will go through the roof if I thrash the bike down the 'straights' (remember I live in California - not out in the boonies). Would i purchase +130 HP motorbike? nah. I like my 75HP Thruxton...yep i must be getting old

1 - 14 of 14 Posts