Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm doing some writing and trying to recall all the raunchy cheap wines we had in the decades past. I have Ripple, Boones Farm, Wild Irish Rose, Night Train (the wine with the doppler effect), and my old fav..Bali hai. Can you remember any?:icon_drink:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Blue Nun. Black Tower.

I actually have a 1990 vintage bottle of Black Tower that I've been meaning to try. It was brought by some skinflint scumbag to a party I had, and it's managed to wangle itself into every removal van I've had since - sometimes moving of its own accord in the dead of night, I'm sure. Anyone care for a glass?

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Wow! Iwas having this discuaaion with my buddy yesterday. Here's a good website to check out: http://www.bumwine.com/

We have this **** wine called Royal Red. It is nasty stuff. I call it Bus Depot Wine.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Oh dear,

In Aus, these kinds of wines were commonly called "Leg Openers"

Ben-Ean Moselle by Lindemans
Porphry Pearl - a sparkling cheapie
Coolibah - wine in a 4 litre box, when it was empty you could use the bladder inside for a pillow.

Eeeuuugh.....

Mick :cool:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I'm doing some writing and trying to recall all the raunchy cheap wines we had in the decades past. I have Ripple, Boones Farm, Wild Irish Rose, Night Train (the wine with the doppler effect), and my old fav..Bali hai. Can you remember any?:icon_drink:
Boones farm boy I am having flash backs. I believe it was one step above Ripple....:D Strawberry, Apple

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Mad Dog was a fav at the Jersey Shore but if I was with a classy girl Mateus was the LO of choice since it actually had a cork.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I had real class and used to take my (now) wife down to the sea shore in Perth (Oz) with a bottle of Mateus Rose and a good pizza with the lot.

The bottle was opened with a screwdriver - pushing the cork in to the bottle. Wow I had "real" style back then.

Not sure why she married me really!!

Russ your list was some of my top shelf leg openers too! :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Blue Nun & Black Tower mentioned earlier; horrible sweet white wines guaranteed to leave a diabolical hangover. I remember them well. (it may have been me that left a bottle at someones party :D)

Still partial to a drop of Mateus Rose though, Rose wines are seriously uncool among the cognoscenti but I like them. (n.b. I am not gay)

No one has yet mentioned Lambrusco. Or Paul Masson California Carafes that were popular over here around that era. My mother still has an empty one as a vase by the fireplace.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Mad Dog was a fav at the Jersey Shore but if I was with a classy girl Mateus was the LO of choice since it actually had a cork.
Boy I remember the oval dark green bottles and even the labels.. definetly more classy than a rubber stopper or screw on cap. :D Much more impressive than a box of wine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Right, Mateuse Rose' was the classy stuff you needed for a special date. It even had a pic of exotic Italian city--all worthy of candle holder status. I always thought Lancers bottles were glazed terra cotta. Nope, spray painted glass. Remember Colt 45 Malt Liquor? Country Club Malt Liquor? Malt Duck? Champale? :v_SPIN:
Down in Atlanta, Georgia, we often chose to be ravaged by bum wines such as...
*Bojangles Peach
*Triple Peach
My gag reflex awakens.
*King Cotton
*MD 20 20 made a "Plum Supreme" variety, which, according to Monty Python, had the bouquet of an Aborigines armpit.

Hope you are serving better stuff this Happy Thanksgiving! and realize how far you've risen.;) Must mention DO NOT try to drink and ride. You may find yourself in the most publicly humiliating moment of your life.
Will close with words from Grateful Dead tune coincidentally entitled "Ripple"

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.

But if you fall you fall alone,
If you should stand then whos to guide you?
If I knew the way I would take you home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts