Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!
Jeremy from Aransas Pass, TX here. I posted about a week ago about how I was (semi-reluctantly) selling my Thunderbird Sport to buy a new Roulette Green Speedy. Well, today was the day - my yellow peril is gone, but she went to the best possible new home, another Triumph owner.
You guys were right - this is absolutely the bike I've wanted all along. One blip of the throttle and I was convinced. Thanks for the push!

-J

PS - Break-in sucks. Tomorrow I will RIDE.

·
Registered
217 Posts
"ps break-in sucks" Phew...for a minute there I thought you were about to ask THAT question.
I remember my heart was once set on a Rocket 3. I took it for a last ride before handing over the $$ and when I returned to the shop with a half-grin, the dealer threw me a set of keys for a Speedie. He said try this bike before you sign up. I went only 800 metres down the road, did a u-turn and road back with a full-grin. "Speedie for me...make it black".
Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
491 Posts
How about giving a comparison between the 2 bikes? I really love the look of the TBS and I'm sorely tempted to get one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats, you'll love it!! :-D I can't get the grin off of my face!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Martin -
Here's the best comparison I can come up with.
The TBS is more comfortable, especially for long distances (over 100 miles). The solo seat on the TBS is better than any Corbin or Sargent I've ever used - surprisingly comfy and well worth the money if you can find one.
The TBS is heavier feeling than the Speedy. Where the Speedy dives into turns, the TBS rolls. The TBS feels more top heavy - not necessarily a bad thing, just different. Both bikes have great suspension and front brakes - tho' the TBS rear brake is pretty poor.
Engine-wise, the TBS has a similar powerband - nice and flat. It, however, doesn't spin like the Speedy - rather, it builds up a little more like a (dare I say it) Harley.
Overall, they are similar in style, not composure. If I had millions I'd keep 'em both, but for now the Speed3 rules.
PS - I'm old fashioned, so to me (tho' I love it) the Speedy has that "sportbike" whirring exhaust sound (with slip-ons), but the TBS with slip-ons absolutely wails! Both bikes are symphonies - maybe Holst's "The Planets" (Speed Triple) vs. The Who's "Quadrophenia". :-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts