Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I arrived at this scene a few hours after it happened. Was at the Flying J in Lakeland FL.

Anyway, as the attendant described it. This guy was smoking while fueling up. She doesn't know if he lit up (the cigarette) before or after he started fueling.

All she remembers seeing is a flash and the next thing she knows, the guy is on fire for a second. He is all singed from head to toe.

No hollywood explosions or fires.

You can''t tell from the photo but the guys GPS was melted !

Must have been real hot for that to happen.....

He's lucky. It could have turned out a lot worse for him and everyone around him.

What would you do if you saw someone smoking while pumping fuel?

Would you tell him to put it out or mind your own business and keep pumping? Would you stop pumping and get the hell out of there? Really?

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've told someone to stop smoking at the pumps and got the finger,I got the hell out of there. BTW where are you in west central florida?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd tell the idiot to stop smoking. The sooner those damn things are outlawed, the better.

I caught a lineman smoking one time while refueling my plane. That was the last time that happened...

BTW, I'm in Clermont. We should get a little South Lake ride going...

Ken

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Back in college in an Organic Chemistry lab, I saw a student light a bunsen burner then throw the still burning match into a center drain trough in the lab top. I knew that another student had just poured some acetone in the same waste trough. I poked at my lab partner and we both left the lab into the hallway. No way was I going to wait and see if the acetone ignited and blew the entire lab up. Rebels without a clue.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Yeah, it just HAD to be a Triumph. Ugh. I bet the guys on the Harley or BMW or Ducati forums would have all kinds of fun with this story!

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
They'll have plenty of time to discuss it since their bikes are most likely in the shop.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You can drop a lit cigarette into a jar of gasoline and the liquid will just extinguish it; I've seen it done many times, the first of which was in a chemistry class. I'm sure most people who fuel up with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth just suffer from the dull-wittedness of habitual behavior, but I've known smokers who cite the fag-extinguishihng parlor trick as evidence of no danger. These obstinate dumbasses are no less dangerous, but are twice as stupid. However true it is that a smoldering cigarette is not hot enough to ignite gasoline, take a drag on it and its temperature can increase to a hot enough temp to set off fumes.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The real fire danger at a gas station is not from liquid gasoline, but from gas vapor in the air when fueling. If you can smell gas, then there's vapor in the air. It's entirely possible that the fuel/air concentration at any given moment will be combustible.

Ken

Just noticed that you mentioned fumes at the end of your post. That's what I was getting at, though I wouldn't like to bet that a lit cigarette (even without dragging on it) wouldn't be hot enough to ignite the vapor, even if not the liquid gasoline...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts