Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did notice the state it's posted from?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the feeling their the original air cooled with some Kawasaki influence to bring them up to modern times.
Just a hunch.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Not to take this off on another angle, but the story that has been passed around is that when they started Hinckley Triumph, Bloor hired some Kwak engineers, who designed the original power plants. I assumed everyone knows that, but I am probably taking too much for granted!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have a book on Triumph's history that says Kawasaki actually helped get them to the point of production.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah....buyer beware. Get ready to replace a bunch of seals, rebuild the carbs, new tires, possibility of rust in cylinders/frozen rings, replace all fluids, etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I have a book on Triumph's history that says Kawasaki actually helped get them to the point of production.
Yeah, I have read this book. That doesn't make sense to me - whay would a company help create a new competitor?

Maybe Triumph sold them design info that led to the W650?

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is surprising how many companies help competitors. Henry Ford actually taught the founder of Toyota ( Kiichiro Toyoda) about his assembly line techniques. His book "My Life and work" is still on the desks of most Toyota execs. To my knowledge it is no longer published in English but is very popular in Japanese.

Kawasaki makes everything from Trains (including subway cars in NY), Ships and large equipment. I am sure they do not see a threat from a small company that was just starting out.

Dave

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yeah, I have read this book. That doesn't make sense to me - whay would a company help create a new competitor?

Maybe Triumph sold them design info that led to the W650?
In a lot of cases its to prevent potential anti-trust issues with the U.S. Government.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just to add to the rumours, a friend of mine worked for a Triumph main dealer, went on a factory tour and was told that Harley Davidson had helped them with setting up production...who knows!

From what i've been told Triumph just copied the best bits from Kwak and Yam, when designing them...just like they did maaaany years ago.

What goes around comes around...:jiggy:

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts