Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before you guys start bitchin' about kickin' dead horses, I want to let you all know I am fully aware of all sides of the debate. I want to know which method you all have used. I personally went the take it easy route. That was partially because coming from a HD, I was a little reluctant to just start wailin' on the throttle for my safety! So lets not get into a pissing contest boys, but what did you do?

Wail, or Snail?

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
I took the buy her used route, and not f'n worry about how she was broken in, I saved loads of $$$, and she only had 2200 miles on her. :-D

·
Registered
492 Posts
i only hit the rev limiter a couple of times before first service , after that
i went balls out .

the triumph mechanic at my dealership is really top notch and the only thing he told me to be careful about was steady speed cruising ,

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tried really really hard not to wring it out until I changed the oil at 500mi. I tried really hard. After the oil change she's been in the red and I've been much happier. I would have preferred to buy used but could only find yellow. :-D

·
Registered
336 Posts
I followed the recommended break-in to the T. I'm anal that way. I figure the Engineers at Triumph know what their engine needs.

JOHN

·
Registered
973 Posts
On 2006-12-18 08:57, graciejohn2 wrote:
I followed the recommended break-in to the T. I'm anal that way. I figure the Engineers at Triumph know what their engine needs.

JOHN
+1, and it was pure torture. Only broke out a few times and not by that much. But when i hit 1,000 miles it was heaven. Got much better with miles, better shifting, better starting, better performance.

·
Registered
293 Posts

JOHN
+1 It was painful for certain, this is the first Hinckley Triumph in a 50 mile radius that I'm aware of so I had no idea about reliability, support, etc.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I rode like a ***** for the first 100miles. After that I got fed up with it and revved the hell out of it :razz: Don't know if that's the best option, but it's still running ok.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Per the manual. I didn't find out about any other way to break it in until it was too late. My next bike will have some thought devoted to it in this regard. Frankly though, It was probably a better option (the take it east method) due to my not having ridden anything at all for fifteen years. It forced me to practice at reasonable speeds until i could get my skills back (well, for the most part).

·
Registered
684 Posts
+2 I particularly worked on varying load and revs (within the limits).

It really wasn't hard for me, either. One long sport ride on tight roads and I was past the more restrictive parts of the break-in routine.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Pretty much the factory recommended way, with the exception that I ran the holy bejezus out of it for 50 miles just before I changed the break in oil. This has been my method now for 15 years and four bikes. Never any problems.

·
Registered
438 Posts
First wheelie at the dealer gate. After that I did hard roll ons with various rev ranges all the way home (250km). After that normal use.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Done all my Trumpy's the same, Pretty much as recomended just a we bit higher in the rev range varing the speeds as much as possible. After it's first service ride as normal :cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
On 2006-12-18 09:15, Dobieman wrote:
I only hit the rev limiter once per hour until after the 500 mile service :-D
How many minutes of the hour did it STAY there? :-D

Got mine used at 2300 miles. Last owner was said to be in his 50s and anal about the upkeep of the bike (according to the dealer I bought it from). I am guessing it was broke in properly. I am finding, now that I am revving it up some, that it seems to be somewhat smoother. When I first got it, it was really twitchy under about 2500-3000rpm.

Could have also been the new plugs I put in...

Shawn

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Dropped the oil at 50 miles and replaced it with Valvoline motorcycle non-synthetic oil for about 600 miles . then put semi synthetic motorcycle oil in for another 500 miles and then put the rocket oil in- Alisyn full synthetic motorcycle oil. I ran the bike moderately hard for a 100 miles or so and then put the wood to it. It runs great and real strong. Break in is factory baloney vs. what ever you like, and I like fast and hard! It works for me.

MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC OIL IS BEST IMHO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts