Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just signed up a couple days ago. I've been drooling over the thruxton for awhile now and I'm getting ready to buy. I just love the cafe racer look. I have a ZX 14 that I race and have no plans on getting rid of. not buying the thruxton to fill my need for speed, just want a good fun bike to ride. Is the much difference in the years besides 09 going to fuel injection?

·
Registered
93 Posts
eh, not much from what i can tell. they did away with the clip-on handlebars for 09, which doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The main difference clearly is carb - or efi. Plus the tank is slightly bigger to accomodate the efi kit and, as Kota says, the bars, which are like hybrid bicycle bars. I have an 09 efi - love it - added Norman Hyde exhausts and Hyde brake/gear change kit which looks better and the brake pedal has more 'surface area' so your boot is unlikely to fall off which in my case, with large boots, is important. The bike pulls like a train, cracks and pops on the overrun, is much more manoeverable than the bonnie - all round, a great bike that is not stupid fast but fast enough for most requirements.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys guess I was not very clear. was actually wondering if there where much differencs in the carb years. not so much the 09. And no matter what year I get I probably won't do much to increase hp as a Thruxton will never seem fast to me. just want a good fun 200 mile on a sunday bike to ride.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow 103 lookers on this thread and only 2 or 3 replys. thought I had a good question. and was hoping for some help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
????

Wow 103 lookers on this thread and only 2 or 3 replys. thought I had a good question. and was hoping for some help.
I think they did answer your question. Everything proir to 2009 had carbs. The Thruxton is a good and fun bike. I have rode the ZX14 and the Thruxton. The Thruxton is a great bike to hack around on and have some fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So theres no other changes from the start of the thruxton untill the 09 has injection?

·
Registered
918 Posts
So theres no other changes from the start of the thruxton untill the 09 has injection?

Umm the new EFI 09 also comes with bar-end mirrors. They're a bit large for my taste, but better looking than the previous bar-end mirrors I suppose.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Only cosmetic.
Early bikes had checkered stripes and silver painted fenders.
Later bikes had solid stipes and body colored fenders.
That's really it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Bently,

I had been looking at the Thruxton's since they first came out. Other than the color changes, and a few small changes I couldn't find any major differences until the 08 change overs that went to the handle bars, and EFI. I actually test rode a couple of the different year bikes and didn't feel any difference in them. I actually found an 04 last month that was the price I wanted and in the condition I wanted and love it so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thruxton

I have an '06 thruxton and I love it. The bars bothered me at first but I got used to them . I think the new bars setup is a bit more comfortable. I recently installed the BC perfomance package (exhaust, airbox removal, etc.) it sounds amazing and is about 25 lbs lighter now! These bikes are great for what it sounds like you are looking for in a bike.

Can't go too much farther than 100 mi on one tank of gas though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Guys that's the info I was looking for. there's an 06 in the classified section right now less the 2 hrs from me but I pmd him and have got no response. so guess I will start looking elsewhere. can get a left over 08 for a good price but like the checkered pattern better on the older bikes.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
One of the appealing things about a Thrux (to me at least) is there is enough stuff out there that you can make them your own.

Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
36 Posts
09 Wheelbase

I read an article in Classicbike Guide issue 214 that the Thruxton now has a wheelbase of 59 inches to compensate for the new handlebars. Is this true? Everywhere else lists it as having a 56 inch wheelbase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts